Anti Virus

Reaction score
Hi,
Could someone recommend a good anti virus program for the iMac please.
Cheers Kev.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you are even the least bit careful you probably will not need one, but if you want one just in case, the free ClamXav is as good as anything and does not take a lot of resources to run.

Reaction score
So ClamXav is the best solution as far as antivirus software goes?

I've had my Macbook Pro (Mid-2009) for almost 3 years now, and have never had a problem with it until recently. I only had 8GB of disk memory left, so I bought an external to free up some space with the hopes of an increase in performance. It didn't work, and my Macbook Pro is still running slow.

Some people have recommended that I increase my RAM, and have said that will help. What do you all think? Why all the sudden do I need more RAM? It was fast when I bought it.

Thoughts/comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Answered elsewhere in your own thread.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
So ClamXav is the best solution as far as antivirus software goes?

I've had my Macbook Pro (Mid-2009) for almost 3 years now, and have never had a problem with it until recently. I only had 8GB of disk memory left, so I bought an external to free up some space with the hopes of an increase in performance. It didn't work, and my Macbook Pro is still running slow.

Some people have recommended that I increase my RAM, and have said that will help. What do you all think? Why all the sudden do I need more RAM? It was fast when I bought it.

Thoughts/comments?

When you bought your Mac, you definitely had a lot more free space and likely less programs. If you maintain a decent amount about 20% of your HD free then you won't take a hit in perfermonce.

Now, adding RAM isnt your fix if things were working well before. You need to clear up more space on your primary HD by moving stuff to the external HD that you got.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Have I missed something or has another thread been started here.
Kev.

Nope, as far your question goes @dtravis7 gave you the answer..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry OP that was to NewtotheMacs who had asked that question in his own thread.

Reaction score
When you bought your Mac, you definitely had a lot more free space and likely less programs. If you maintain a decent amount about 20% of your HD free then you won't take a hit in perfermonce.

Now, adding RAM isnt your fix if things were working well before. You need to clear up more space on your primary HD by moving stuff to the external HD that you got.

Thanks for the feedback. I now have 38GB available on my HD, but it is still not performing to it's potential. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my RAM to a 4 or 8GB. That should speed things up quite a bit.

Thanks again for the replies.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Being down to 8GB free space and just deleting 30GB of data from your drive, my recommendation would be iDefrag. Think you may gain more speed back with it than upgrading your RAM at this point.

If you don't have at least 4GB RAM, that would be a good idea also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.