Replacing a dead hard drive os x lion

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with a little problem that I have with my mid-2010 macbook. A few months ago it began to start up really slowly, and it eventually got to where it was just stuck on the spinning gear screen. I had installed os x lion a few months earlier so I just erased and restored the hard disk from the recovery screen, redownloading the operating system and erasing all my data in the process. About a month after that, it started happening again until my hard drive completely died.

Now my question is: is the recovery drive actually located on the hard drive? Is it possible to just replace the old hard drive with a new one and reinstall the operating system from the recovery screen? And if that isn't possible, how do I get it fixed?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you backed up and cloned the hard drive with a utility that also copies the recovery partition, you'll have to start from the beginning again. When your hard drive fails, the recovery partition is no longer accessible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.