Macbook Pro grey startup screen failure

Reaction score
Here is my situation. My macbook pro froze so I restarted it and ended up with the grey startup screen with OS X not loading. I have already reset the nvram and safe boot with no success. Also I tried restarting from the OS X disc and I cannot repair the disk or even erase my hardrive for a fresh install. During disk repair and disk erase it will say it cannot unmount the disk and after a few minutes of trying to reinstall OS X again it errors. Is there something I'm missing or is it a possible hardware problem? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
The sound wont work .):

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.. i'm new to these forums .
Ok so my volume on my mac isnt working . When I press the lower and higher volume it pops up but it wont do anything . It just has this wierd circle symbol with a side dash in the middle . Please help ! Also , when I turned it on it took forever to start up ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Here is my situation. My macbook pro froze so I restarted it and ended up with the grey startup screen with OS X not loading. I have already reset the nvram and safe boot with no success. Also I tried restarting from the OS X disc and I cannot repair the disk or even erase my hardrive for a fresh install. During disk repair and disk erase it will say it cannot unmount the disk and after a few minutes of trying to reinstall OS X again it errors. Is there something I'm missing or is it a possible hardware problem? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

From your description it's more likely your hard drive has failed. What MacBook Pro do you have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.