Tabs in Safari

Reaction score
I may be overlooking this, but is there an option to choose in Safari to make links I click on in web pages to automatically open a new tab, instead of a whole new window? Because the only way I see to be able to do this now is I have to click applekey+click and then choose to open in a new tab.

Thanks-

Reaction score
Applekey + click is how it works in my iBook (10.3)
Does a menu show, instead of creating a new tab?
Probably in preferences select "enable tabed browse"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Safari Preferences Tabs click Enable Tabbed Browsing. You can either Right (Control) click on the site you want to open in a new tab and select open in new Tab or Apple+T makes a new Tab.

Hope this is what you are after.

OP
youthpastor
Reaction score
I was wondering if it was possible to just click regular, and Safari would automatically open it up in a new tab?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not that I can find. I checked Firefox and configured Tabs to do everything, and it does t he same thing as Safari and does not open bookmarks say or Bookmark bar items in a new tab unless I right click and select open in new tab. I think the Apple-T then the link would be the easiest if it's a new link and right click-open in new tab if it's on the bookmark bar.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Merry Christmas to you also and to all here at Mac Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel on it, clicking on a link with the scroll button opens it in a new tab

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
michaelstumpf said:
if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel on it, clicking on a link with the scroll button opens it in a new tab

Yes, that is very true. Reason I did not mention it is he did not want to do it that way, but wants every page to just open in a Tab. I really like either the right click or the Scroll button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.