LaCie External Hardrive Backup Issue

Reaction score
First off, I apologize if this post is incorrectly categorized, I'm new to the forums and couldn't find a more appropriate spot.

I've been using my 500gb LaCie external hard drive on my 2008 macbook for a while, and it has been working perfectly fine. I just upgraded though and bought a new Macbook Pro Retina Display, and now it's not working at all.

I plug the drive in, and it starts backing up. However, it says it only needs to backup 100mb or so (which is incorrect, i have 64gb of stuff on this computer, and I haven't backed up before). It goes up to the 100mb mark, then says "about 5 seconds remaining..." and proceeds to "back up" about 400,000 items with a full progress bar. It eventually gets to 64 gigs, stops, then the bar resets and says "about 600 days remaining" and underneath the bar it says about 40kb out of 65 gigs remaining, and the bar doesn't move. I stop it there, not knowing what the heck is going on, and nothing happens. My data was never backed up, it says it never has been. ("Last back up: never") I open up the drive, click the backup folder for this computer, and there's one file with a .inProgress extension. I thought maybe I could trash it, but when I do it says "Finder wants to make changes, please enter your password" and I get scared because I'm not sure what that's going to do lol. Maybe I need to do a disk repair through the disk utility? (which I don't really know how to do?)

I'm going off to college pretty soon and I need to be able to back up my data. Help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.