Notes.app "On My Mac" section disappears

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently started using the Notes.app which is now on Mountain Lion for my work notes. I'd like to ensure I have backups of it (I know iCloud might be backup enough but sometimes these things get lost during upgrades). When I visited iCloud: How to back up iCloud data ('Notes for OS X Mountain Lion' section) it says that I can simply copy note.app folders from the 'iCloud' list to the 'On My Mac' list.
This makes perfect sense but I don't have an 'On My Mac' list. The instructions on that page tell you how to make one but every time I follow them and then re-sync my account the new 'On My Mac' list disappears and everything turns back into iCloud again!

Does anybody know how I can have two lists: 'iCloud' and 'On My Mac' at the same time like the iCloud: How to back up iCloud data page seems to think I can in order to backup?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.