DVD burning software

Reaction score
After recently purchasing an imac and creating an imovie for my graddaughters softball team, I learned that imac no longer bundles iDVD on new macs. Could someone recommend software I can purchase that works well with imac and is simple to use. I don't need anything fancy like Toast. I only need to burn multible DVD's from mpeg4's created in imovie that will play in a typical DVD player.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Because of the transcoding that is required to create standard DVDs, Toast may actually be a good fit for that purpose.

There are some freeware alternatives like Burn, but it's not nearly as robust as Toast and something tells me it doesn't have the ability to transcode into DVD format on its own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" Mac 2.7GHz,i5,8G ram OSx10.8.3
I bought an iMac just before Christmas 2011, had the same irritation about the missing idvd. A friend that had recommended Apple to me called Apple Support and gently chided them about the missing idvd, we were told they had ilife with idvd $50.00 I received the disk 3 days later. I now have idvd.

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried Burn. Big mistake. I created 12 DVD's all of which either skipped or wouldn't play at all in standard DVD players. I was also told by Apple dealer that idvd was available at the app store. It wasn't. I will check for the ilfe package or end up with toast. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is odd. New iMac last month sure has iDVD 7.1.2 in Applications. Have to say never used it, always use Toast Titanium 11.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.