Anybody know about retina Macbook Pro sales?

Reaction score
Hi All,

A while back, I read a story noting that, if the new retina-display MacBook Pros with everything soldered to the board actually sold well -- eg, if it was proven that the market just didn't care about flexibility/upgradeability -- that future Macs would soon follow this paradigm...

So I'm just wondering if anybody has any information about how well, or not, the new systems are selling so far. Any predictions?

Thanks,

Z

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to my local Apple store they can't keep them in stock. Evidently, it's very popular and in demand. Local Best Buy is likewise out.

Also, the SSD flash drive will soon be upgradeable as soon as folks like OWC come up with a replacement. It's the memory which is not upgradeable and the new battery that has been glued down and requires special handling to remove and replace.

Reaction score
It's going to really suck if it ends up going that way - and just the opposite of what got Apple on the map in the first place.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I went ahead and moved your thread, since we do actually have a forum with Apple Notebooks as the topic.

With that said, I was kind of hoping after the initial rush, that sales would fall flat.

I took a look at one at a local Apple Store the other day and was thoroughly unimpressed. Yes, it's slightly thinner than the standard MacBook Pro - yes, it has a lovely display. The heft is about the same and something about it made it feel more "toy like" than a normal MacBook Pro. Maybe that's just my bias, having thoroughly studied the deficiencies of it upon release - but it's the impression I was left with nonetheless.

I was very hopeful that the rumored redesign was going to be a 15" MacBook Air. Perhaps once the Retina display is rolled out to other models, and if the market ultimately rejects this soldered together monstrosity once the hype wears off, Apple may shuffle the line around a bit - kinda like what they did with the original Aluminum MacBook.

If not, then this will be my last Apple Notebook in 2014 when it's time for my next upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
No different that the MB Airs in terms of upgradability and those are tremendously popular.

Reaction score
I had a problem buying my new MBP. All the Chicagoland BB stores (including my Apple store in Orland Park, Il) did not have one 512gb in stock. I suppose it's a financing issue, since they cost about as much as a small Volkswagen.

I bought mine at Abt Electronics in Glenview, Il. They had 35 in stock.

I really hate to gush, but, I love my new Mac Book Pro (Retina) :sighs:

I bought it for the following reasons:
solid state drive
fast four quad processor
(verified) Samsung screen
Mountain Lion OS (included)

IMHO it is a very nice laptop, probably one of the best I've ever had.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.