Office Powerpoint 2011 Can't Edit PowerPoint 2004 Org Charts

Reaction score
Can't edit Office 2004 org charts in Office 2011

I'm just answering this question so don't flame me for wrong forum. I'll post in the correct one, also.

What org chart program?? You can use the built in smart art in Power Point to quickly build an org chart.

Yep, you can - from scratch. The problem Aldeacon is having is a known bug. From the Microsoft web site:

"Earlier versions of Office for Mac included Organization Chart, a tool for creating and editing organization charts. Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 does not include Organization Chart. When you open a document that contains an object that was created by using Organization Chart, you can view it, but you cannot edit it."

Because, let's face it; Organizations are static. So whoever worked in whatever position back in 2004 is going to be there forever. It'll never change. And no one on that org chart will ever die, either. Let's all get on an org chart so we become invincible...

According to Microsoft.

So what Aldeacon is looking for is an updated add-in so he can edit his Office 2004 org charts in Office 2011.

And so am I. Mr. Google finds no solutions to this.

OP
M
Reaction score
From the Microsoft web site (under known issues [aka: bugs]):

"Earlier versions of Office for Mac included Organization Chart, a tool for creating and editing organization charts. Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 does not include Organization Chart. When you open a document that contains an object that was created by using Organization Chart, you can view it, but you cannot edit it."

Because, let's face it; Organizations are static. So whoever worked in whatever position back in 2004-2010 is going to be there forever. It'll never change. And no one on that org chart will ever die, either. Let's all get on an org chart so we become invincible...according to Microsoft's view of the world. Then again, I've waited seven minutes in Microsoft's estimate. By the clock on the wall it took over half an hour (how much snark is too much?).

So what I'm is looking for is a way to edit Office 2004 PowerPoint org charts in Office PowerPoint 2011.

Mr. Google finds no solutions to this.

The thing that blows me away is that there are org charts out there that cover a wall. What are those people doing about it? Why does MS not see this as a problem worth fixing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure you if you can edit an Org chart with Open Office or LibreOffice but it might be worth a try since both applications are free. There's also Apple's iWork Keynote which can edit Powerpoint files, but again, I'm not certain it would be able to edit Org charts. Besides, it would cost $19.99 to find out.

By the way, I find it a lot easier to create my own Org charts using something like iStudio Publisher. Once you create a template, the rest is easy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm just answering this question so don't flame me for wrong forum. I'll post in the correct one, also.

No one is going to flame you, but you posted an answer to a question that was a year old when you had already posted the same subject in the correct forum and received an answer.

I moved your cross post here and combined it with your previous post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.