Trackpad & Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Well, it seems Apple did something to ruin my trackpad. It works fine under Lion - including when I revert to using Lion after having installed Mountain Lion.

The issue is that now my finger has to be much more vertical (point-like) than before, where it was somewhat more horizontal before - otherwise the pointer movement is slow and erratic.

I have no idea why they would do this, but it is pretty much unusable. If I can't make it work like it did before, I will have to start using a mouse, which would suck. Does anyone know how to make it work like it did before?

Magic Trackpad with MBPm2012.

Thanks,
a

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I have downloaded Mountain Lion. I can honestly say my trac pad stiil works fine. I would hate going back to a mouse. However I am am NOT impressed with Mountain Lion. As usual they have many bugs to work out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However I am am NOT impressed with Mountain Lion. As usual they have many bugs to work out.

ML is an improvement over Lion. Can you describe the "many bugs" you're seeing? I've seen several things in ML which I personally don't like but I would hardly call them bugs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thus far, I'm not really using ML to its full potential, but that's because my MBP is 4 years old. That said, I'm not "unimpressed" at all. If anything, I'm still impressed that everything is working so smoothly.

As usual, I did a totally clean install. Did a 3 pass wipe (I always do) and have absolutely no need to back up from a clone because I keep everything vital on external drives. I always download my apps fresh, since they are usually updated in turn with the OS.

In fact, I bought (upgraded) Lightroom 4 before I went to bed last night, and just got back from J&R because I needed a new USB hub. I'll report back if there are any issues which can be traced back to ML I guess. But I'm very happy right now.

I'll also need to test streaming to my TV via HDMI since someone reported *without any detail mind you* that it wasn't working for them, in another thread.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Trackpad works fine on mine with added gestures . MBP 2009 15.
What year and model are you using?

OP
A
Reaction score
Trackpad works fine on mine with added gestures . MBP 2009 15.
What year and model are you using?
As indicated in the OP: Magic Trackpad with MBPm2012. It's a 15", but it's not like that matters at all.

I have all gestured turned off. The only thing I am interested in doing is moving the mouse pointer and clicking - I have no need for swiping and pinching and grabbing or other use stuff.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Will mess with it some more but my Magic Trackpad works as it did under Lion here in ML.

FiresideDog, what bugs are we talking about? I find ML more bug free than even 10.7.4 Lion!

Just turned on my Magic Trackpad. Everything is totally smooth and fast. Gestures all work also. I find that the Magic Mouse BTW works better under ML than with Lion. Something strange is up on your end.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You say if you boot back to Lion it works normally? That makes no sense to me as I see no difference in either OS with the MT.

OP
A
Reaction score
You say if you boot back to Lion it works normally?
Yep. Perfectly.

It seems to be an issue of resolution, for lack of any other way to describe it. If I make a special effort to keep my finger pointed straight down (i.e. smaller finger surface on the pad), it works fine. But if I use the more "side of finger" technique that I've been using since the dawn of time (with respect to trackpads, going back to 1990 or so), which puts more finger surface on the pad, there are issues.

That makes no sense to me as I see no difference in either OS with the MT.
A lot of what apple does these days makes no sense to me, but they keep making money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Will mess with it some more but my Magic Trackpad works as it did under Lion here in ML.

FiresideDog, what bugs are we talking about? I find ML more bug free than even 10.7.4 Lion!

Just turned on my Magic Trackpad. Everything is totally smooth and fast. Gestures all work also. I find that the Magic Mouse BTW works better under ML than with Lion. Something strange is up on your end.

Well I hope you accept any apologies that I may offer. Now I am not using this as an excuse so I am not up to par,nor certainly thinking in my "right mind'" literally. About a week and a half ago I was in a serious vehicle accident that required myself to be medi-flighted to a hospital. I am happy to be alive by the grace of God. It was the worst experience that I can recall. So I am really trying to deal with life on a day to day basis. I am so glad that my kids were not in the vehicle roll over with me,nor that I hurt anyone else. So please forgive me of any ignorance on my behalf. I am just going through some difficult times right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I haven't noticed any issues with my Magic Trackpad since updating to ML.

Reaction score
Change batteries and reboot

I had some problems with my trackpad after upgrading to ML as well. I could still swipe between pages, but like many other features, pinching to activate launchpad for instance didn't work. After changing the batteries in the trackpad and rebooting, everything works fine again. So far...
You might try that and see if it works for you too.

C

chas_m

Is it possible that you had some third-party trackpad software -- such as BetterTouchTool or MagicPrefs -- installed on your Lion install that isn't present (or broken) on your Mountain Lion install? That's all I can think of. I don't have a Magic Trackpad but there was no difference in my trackpad (built in) when I updated ...

Reaction score
Mine's a bonafide magical apple pad, and I also ran into trouble. My solution may just have been coincidental though. The low battery problem might still have occurred if had stuck with Lion, who knows.
But then again, anynamewilldo's trackpad may also run on batteries. ;-)

Reaction score
Must be a trackpad bug in Mountain Lion

Well the problem reappeared! After my Mac had been asleep for a while, most of my swiping and pinching didn't do anything again. Turning off and on the magic trackpad didn't do the trick. Only after restarting the computer everything worked fine again. This must be a bug in Mountain Lion. I hope they fix it fast. It is not a big problem, but it's awkward.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still can't understand why I have not had a single issue with my Magic Trackpad in ML. Sleep, nothing affects is.

OP
A
Reaction score
The issues I described in the OP occur whether I am using the built in trackpad, or any of the three different Magic Trackpads that I have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.