Safari address bar

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to this forum and a bit of a beginner when it comes to computers but, I'm hoping that someone can explain something to me... I'm currently running Lion 10.7.4 and the other day I noticed that the address bar in Safari had changed into a combined address and search bar. Then I noticed a change in the Safari drop down menu... the 'Empty Cache' option has disappeared. Also, when I visit several sites the 'Back' button is no longer highlighted but, instead, a number of separate boxes open up each containing the name of the website page I've visited, etc. I've found that sometimes, for example, if I have 5 pages open in a site and I want to go back to page 3, I can't simply return to 3 by clicking the back button twice but that I have to return to the main opening page of the site and work forward again... can anyone tell me if this is supposed to be an upgrade or improvement, because I'm finding it really annoying and confusing?
Many thanks, Hansi

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Hansi

Can't necessarily answer all your points, but:

Empty Cache can be found under "Develop" in the Safari menu bar. So it's still there, but moved!

As regards your other question. If you go to Safari/Preferences/General, choose "open pages in tabs" and select "Always". Then, when you are browsing with 5 windows open, they will be shown as 5 Tabs along the top of the page. When you want to go back to 3, for example, just click on the third tab along which will show the heading relating to that page. That's how I do it anyway.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Ian... your info about the tabs has helped me. I went to Safari preferences and under 'Open pages in tabs' I chose 'Never' and the normal windows function has returned, which I much prefer to the tabs. So thanks very much for that!
Unfortunately, I can't find 'Develop' anywhere in the Safari menu bar... I don't appear to have that option! I looked several times under SAFARI FILE EDIT VIEW HISTORY BOOKMARKS and WINDOW and it doesn't appear in any of the drop down menus... any ideas about that one?
Once again, many thanks for your help!
Cheers, Hansi

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hansi

Sorry I was unable to help you with "Empty Cache'.

In my Safari, the menu bar reads: Safari/File/Edit/View/History/Bookmarks/Develop/Window/Help

As you are running 10.7.4, same as me; and assuming your Safari update is 6.0; I can't explain why your menu bar is different from mine.

Well, at least I helped you with one thing!

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks again Ian... I'm just very happy to have cleared up the tabs thing and returned to open windows! I still don't know why or how it changed itself to tabs, I certainly didn't change anything!

Yes, that's strange about Safari 6.0... I definitely have the latest version and Lion 10.7.4 but no sign at all of 'Develop' in the Safari menu bar... very odd!

Cheers, Hansi

OP
H
Reaction score
Wow... so simple when you know how! Thanks a lot technologist, I now have the missing 'Develop' menu in my Safari bar...

Cheers, Hansi

Reaction score
I'll post another question here as it is similar if not the same. I am running 10.7.5. I do not get an address bar, although I used to, unless I am running in the full page mode. The "open pages in tabs" is set to "never." When not in full page mode the address bar reads "Safari address bar-Mac-Forums Discussion for Apple Products & Services (where I am at now). But, I cannot enter a search there as the current page will disappear. As mentioned, I used to get an address bar but now cannot. Perhaps coincidentally this happened after a recent "software update." Thanks.

Reaction score
Found a few other posts regarding issue and appear to have it restored. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.