Will Windows 7 pick up Firewire 800 devices on a macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi. I've just bought a shiny new macbook pro. Its so sexy. I have used bootcamp to also install Windows 7 on it as i need to use both OSX and Windows 7. So far so good. I was hoping that Windows will pick up any Firewire 800 devices plugged into the macbook. I am planning on getting a new audio interface in the future and it connects with Firewire 800 rather than USB. I have done a google search but couldn't find anything. Also I don't currently have any Firewire 800 devices to attach to it. Would anybody know?

Reaction score
According to my information you would need a FW800 Expresscard to workaround it, but it appears to only work on certain versions of Windows.
It does however work on Windows XP, for sure.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me but I am confused, why would winows require an express card when the MacBook has a FireWire 800 port?

OP
M
Reaction score
This is crazy! I bought the thing so windows can work with FireWire 800. ****! Is this definite?

Reaction score
Well, tbh it is beyond me why you would by a Macbook Pro, just to install an OS on it that also installs on a machine of a third of the value.
A PCI Firewire 800 card will give you 2 slots for as less as 35 Bucks
Just because they slap a FW800 on a Macbook Pro, doesn't mean Windows will support it.
But if you search hard enough, maybe you will find a driver for it.

GL

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi. I've just bought a shiny new macbook pro. Its so sexy. I have used bootcamp to also install Windows 7 on it as i need to use both OSX and Windows 7. So far so good. I was hoping that Windows will pick up any Firewire 800 devices plugged into the macbook. I am planning on getting a new audio interface in the future and it connects with Firewire 800 rather than USB. I have done a google search but couldn't find anything. Also I don't currently have any Firewire 800 devices to attach to it. Would anybody know?

Open the hardware tree in Windows 7 from Control Panel System. The FW800 port should be listed. As long as there are no ! over the port listing, that means that drivers were installed by the Boot Camp software you downloaded from Apple. As long as the drivers are installed, Windows 7 will "see" and use your FW800 devices. Keep in mind that the Audio Interface will have to be compatible with Windows 7 and may require drivers.

OP
M
Reaction score
thank you chscag. i will check this out. i did think that the bootcamp drivers should make windows pick up fw800 devices.

Ibanezi - don't ever question or try to understand another man's logic :)

Reaction score
I hope Bootcamp is going to prove me wrong, that way I will have learnt something today as well :))

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.