Hiding folders from view/access

wbb

Reaction score
Hi, have searched and found older threads on this, but the solutions don't appear to work for me.

I'm a non-IT person using Mac OS X 10.7.4.

I'd like to simply hide certain folders from view (so their contents are inaccessible), and unhide them just as simply.

My old Windows system could do this by hiding individual folders, and choosing "Show All Hidden Folders" to make them accessible.

I've tried placing a 'dot' at the beginning but the system won't allow it - "these names are reserved for the system".

As per a general web search, I've tried using Terminal and setting 'hidden' flags but the commands are "invalid" according to the response, or the path couldn't be found!

Seems an easy task, and not unusual I would think - any help appreciated.

Thanks, wbb

(Have also tried password protecting, which would usually suffice, but it seems cumbersome and it seems you can't add/delete files from the 'image' easily).

C

chas_m

My approach is to not allow anyone else -- not even my wife -- access to my account. That's why multiple accounts and guest accounts exist. Would this not work for you?

OP
W

wbb

Reaction score
I don't really want different logins if that's what you mean? I thought it would be easier to simply hide folders to protect certain data. The computer & layout would remain the same, but sensitive data could be hidden from users - bookkeeper or others using machine.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Here is one solution. It is a manager for creating and using Encrypted Disk Images.
https://agilebits.com/knox

You can do the same thing manually, but Knox can be configured to reside in your Menu Bar and makes creating and accessing Disk Images a snap.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A period in front will let you hide the folder but Finder doesn't allow it (for whatever reason). You can move the folder (you rename things by moving them at the command line) from a Terminal window or you can use chflags to accomplish something similar. How comfortable are you with the command line?

Note: Hiding a folder is a terrible way to secure data since it's still there, unencrypted and the privileges don't change. You might want to look into using encrypted disk images.

Reaction score
A period in front will let you hide the folder but Finder doesn't allow it (for whatever reason). You can move the folder (you rename things by moving them at the command line) from a Terminal window or you can use chflags to accomplish something similar. How comfortable are you with the command line?

Note: Hiding a folder is a terrible way to secure data since it's still there, unencrypted and the privileges don't change. You might want to look into using encrypted disk images.

I would second this. Using an encrypted disk image would be a way nicer solution!

OP
W

wbb

Reaction score
Thanks all, will look at EDI. I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with command lines (or any of this stuff ;-) ), but will use searches to talk me through the process! Tomorrow, time for bed in these parts..

Thanks again..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.