In a real mess: Lion/Snow Leopard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes I should have said that I used a vacuum to clean the vents.

Hey...maybe all your iMac actually needed was that vacuuming you did!:) The suction on a full-sized home vacuum cleaner can be pretty strong...and the "fuzz" inside of a computer is pretty light. So that vacuuming may have taken care of the bulk of it.

Last night I had a 1.5 hr facetime conversation with a friend with no problems at all. This is a first, as all previous conversations have resulted in kernel panics, graphics problems and numerous restarts. The iMac got quite warm during this period, but not hot. Seems like the rear vent was to blame, if only in part.

Sounds like a pretty successful test...given your previous experiences. Regarding the iMac still getting warm. Yeah...still gonna happen...pretty normal when asking the computer to do high demand tasks like...video and/or gaming.

Personally I would still open it up to see if any dirt/fuzz remains. But I can understand not wanting to open it up (now that things seem to be better)...and you have your reservations about opening it up.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.