Installation of Office Mac 2011 on top of Free Trial

Reaction score
Hi Everyone: As a newbie here, I hope that I don't make any mistakes. I downloaded a 30-day Free Trial of Office Mac 2011 a couple of days ago. Today I received my own bought version of Office Mac 2011 for installation, but I don't know if I have to do anything with the free trial version before I download my own. I was previously using Office Mac 2004.:Confused:

OP
G
Reaction score
Addition to Previous Post

First mistake accomplished. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also installed the new Mountain Lion a couple of days ago.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged. No need to start a 2nd thread to add to a 1st thread. Besides...not many folks would be able to connect the two threads anyway!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Hi Everyone: As a newbie here, I hope that I don't make any mistakes. I downloaded a 30-day Free Trial of Office Mac 2011 a couple of days ago. Today I received my own bought version of Office Mac 2011 for installation, but I don't know if I have to do anything with the free trial version before I download my own. I was previously using Office Mac 2004.:Confused:

If I where you I would uninstall the trial version just to be on the safe side. If Mac 2011 has it's own uninstaller, use that. If it hasn't download and use Appcleaner, that way you will be sure that everything from the trial version has been removed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Completely remove the 30 day free trial before installing the licensed version. Use the uninstall instructions from Microsoft. Do not drag the files to the Trash.

Go to this LINK and follow the instructions for removal. Any documents or templates you created with the trial version will be retained.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Although someone could remove the trial version of Microsoft Office it's not necessary according to Microsoft. According to them there are two other options:

1. Purchase a license key that converts the trial version to a full version. Launch one of the programs and enter the key when prompted.

2. If you have the trial version installed and have purchased a physical copy of the DVD simply launch the trial version of one of the programs and enter the license key from the purchased DVD.

I can't personally vouch for option 2 but I know option 1 works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What has happened in the past is that sometimes folks will download a trial version of Microsoft Office and then buy a different version. For example: Download the trial version of Home and Business which includes Outlook but then buy the Home version which does not. Option one will not work. Option two will probably work if you do a complete install with the DVD.

That's why I usually recommend uninstalling the trial version first and then install the purchased version. If the trial and purchased versions are the same, both your suggestions should work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What has happened in the past is that sometimes folks will download a trial version of Microsoft Office and then buy a different version. For example: Download the trial version of Home and Business which includes Outlook but then buy the Home version which does not. Option one will not work. Option two will probably work if you do a complete install with the DVD.

That's why I usually recommend uninstalling the trial version first and then install the purchased version. If the trial and purchased versions are the same, both your suggestions should work.

I can see where this would be an issue. I don't think Microsoft's site makes that clear.

Now that you mention it I may have gotten bitten by this in the past. This time differing versions was not an issue since I purchased a key for the trial that I downloaded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I too would advise uninstalling the trial version, just to be safe. Were they to end-up installed side-by-side I doubt still having the trial version would stop the full version from working per se, but it's possible the trial version would retain precedence for opening files from the Finder.

I recall once installing a copy of Office 2007 "Home & Business" onto a PC that (unbeknownst to me, as I didn't bother checking first!) already had the trial version of Office 2010 "Home & Student" bundled on it by the manufacturer. They co-existed quite peacefully; but I couldn't set Office 2007 as the default, if I double-clicked a Word or Excel document they would always open in the Office 2010 trial; it was only uninstalling the trial that let my own install take-over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.