Upload and Download speeds?

Reaction score
So let me throw this out there. When I run Speettest.net It tells me I am uploading at .76 MB/s or 760 KB/s, which is in the tolerance I am paying for. I upload routinely to two different FTP sites. One is a Google server, the other is connected to my photography web site. Both sites are designed for large files. In either case when I up load, my new iMac tells me I am only uploading at 92kb/sec . What can cause the disparity, and how can I fix it? I'm in the Chicago area using comcast cable and they say I am getting what I am paying for but my iMac disagrees. Plus I did the math myself based on time and files sizes and I am really getting about 90 kb/sec.
Upload is pretty important to me, but even on the download at best I'm getting 2MB/sec when I should be getting over 3 mb/sec.

Thoughts ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not post a reply to an old thread (from 2006), instead create a new thread with a new subject. I did that for you.... which should also increase your chance of getting useful replies.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That would be about right Frenchy7, upload about 10% of download. For instance my download is 9.2MB/s, upload 900Kb/s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I've seen a not dissimilar issue with download speed if I run a test on 2 different servers with speedtest.net. One server 30 miles away gives me 12 Mbps and another 11 miles away gives me 8mbps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.