Cracked MacBook Pro 13'

Reaction score
Basically I tripped at my University's library and my macbook went flying and hit the ground. I checked and to my horror the screen was cracked but apparently the LCD panel underneath was not since I could see evrything fine. I have apple-care and went to the apple store and unfortunately they won't cover it. Their price was in my opinion ridiculous $265, that's a bloody ripoff. I basically said I couldn't afford that and walked out. Does anyone know of any places that I can send my laptop in to get fixed or is it easy to do it yourself? If it's half that price Apple charges I'll send it in.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Basically I tripped at my University's library and my macbook went flying and hit the ground. I checked and to my horror the screen was cracked but apparently the LCD panel underneath was not since I could see evrything fine. I have apple-care and went to the apple store and unfortunately they won't cover it.

Applecare only covers manufacturing defects...not accidents...this is why Apple will not cover the repair.

Their price was in my opinion ridiculous $265, that's a bloody ripoff.

What experience do you have to justify saying this price is a "rip-off". Do you know how much replacement parts for computers cost?

This actually is NOT a ripoff. The LCD panel that needs to be replaced (if you were to buy the part yourself & replace it)...would cost $150-$200...then add the cost of labor to install it (which $65 would not be that unreasonable).

As far as places to send your computer to be repaired. I don't think that you're going to find anywhere (that you can trust)...that will be much less than $265. Powerbookmedic.com does repairs...they charge around $249 for a MacBook LCD replacement (price includes shipping).

Mac Service - Apple Mac Repair and Upgrades for your Mac, iPad, iPod, or iPhone

Remember...don't get angry with Apple. If "someone" didn't trip...sending their laptop flying...we wouldn't be having this discussion!;)

HTH.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
$265 seems very cheap to me - I'd be all over that. I doubt you will find it cheaper from any reputable source.

And yeah - Applecare covers defects, not abuse of equipment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with my fellow forum members. $265 is a reasonable price to pay for the repair - especially having Apple do it. Of course you can always do the repairs yourself. The same folks at powerbookmedic.com that Nick mentioned sells the parts. You can also follow the step by step instructions given at iFixit: The free repair manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.