Screen Ghosting On OSX 10.6.8

Reaction score
I've been having this problem for a while and it's driving me insane. Basically, at some random point my mac starts "ghosting" multiple screen images on top of each other and the only way to fix it is to reboot. I hate rebooting. You can wiggle a window around and make the "ghosted" screen's disappear for a little bit. I have closed every application I have had opened and it still does it. My system is update to date with all the system updates.

PLEASE HELP!!

Screen_shot_2012_07_31_at_3_17_35_PM_2.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

What sort of a Mac in this and how old is it? Looks like your graphics card is failing. This effect will most likely continue until it fully fails with crazy graphics and will not recover..

Reaction score
resolution

Hi there,

My friend is experiencing the exact same problem. Where you ever able to find the solution? Was it a bad video card, or was it software related?

Thanks!

Giovanni

OP
U
Reaction score
Hi there,

My friend is experiencing the exact same problem. Where you ever able to find the solution? Was it a bad video card, or was it software related?

Thanks!

Giovanni

No I never found a quick solution. I have always had to reboot to resolve the issue. I also have to unplug my right monitor while i reboot for my dual display to work correctly when my mac starts back up.

I have also found the problem to be when i have large amounts of ram used for a long period of time (have a ton of apps running).

What I have done, is to try to keep as many non essential apps running as possible and it has helped. Still sucks though.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Answer to ghosting

I had the same problem. I brought it in to Apple three times and they checked the logic board and the video card and found nothing. I also have three monitors set up to my MacPro. (tower) They set up 6 and couldn't replicate the problem. I switched from operating system 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion for $19.95 and the problem disappeared. This problem happened to a friend of mine too and it worked for him. I hope this helps.

Jeffrey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.