No drag-and-drop from desktop to Finder icon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
I installed Mountain Lion and now I can't drag and drop a file from my desktop into the Finder icon on the Dock, and spring-load it to drill down into an appropriate folder!

I checked all System Pref settings; they're fine. Trashed all plists relevant to the Finder, etc.

Finally called AppleCare and after a long while, the guy said "Yep. You can't drag and drop files/folders from the desktop into the Finder icon on the dock, unless a window of Finder is already open (which I'd discovered on my own)."

Which means, now you have to actually open a Finder window first -- then drag a file from the desktop into the Finder icon, and you can spring-load it into the correct folder.

Unless I'm missing something really obvious in Preferences, this is a really stupid regression on Apple's part.

Until Mountain Lion came along, you could drag anything from your desktop, hover it over the Finder icon, and drill down to where you wanted to drop it.

Now you have to actually add a step.

Anyone have a fix, or a comment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1
Glad I'm not the only one.

Exactly the same thing is happening to me, simple dragging from the download folder to the finder, as I drag it over it looks like the finder wants to open and then just shows the desktop.

Very annoying and I don't know the answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.