Upgrading to SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hey.

I found a really good deal on a 120 GB SSD. I want to use it on my 2010 MBP 13.3 inch. The thing is, is that it's not enough space. Is there anyway I can put two of them into my laptop without removing my Disk Drive? The one I am looking at is a OCZ Vertex Plus R2 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive w/ 3Gbps Interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
There is only one way to fit the SSD and keep your existing HD, but that involves removing the optical drive. You can buy a carrier for your HD is the shape of the optical drive, it mounts using the same 3 screws. I've seen some eBay suppliers selling the carrier and an empty external USB case to take the redundant optical drive.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked up what you are suggesting but I don't know what name to look it up under. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
You can get a solution from Amazon for about $12:
Amazon.com: 2nd HDD Hard Drive Caddy Adapter Compatible for Apple MACBOOK /MACBOOK PRO with 9.5mm-high Drive SATA Interface: Computers & Accessories

Or you can get what is undoubtedly a higher quality one from OWC for $60:
OWC DDAMBS0GB Data Doubler Optical Bay Hard... in stock at OWC

The difference in quality being the performance of the interface you attach the second drive to.

I have both. I ordered the one from Amazon for my wife's computer. I have it, but did not install it yet. I got the one from OWC and installed it in my brand new mid-2012 MBP (took about 10 minutes) and it works great as far as I can tell.

You can put the optical drive in an enclosure, but do NOT buy the one from OWC. It is a TOTAL piece of crap and isn't worth using even for free.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did find it. Thank you! I know OWC is a good brand, but whatever gets the job done is all I need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.