Fixing Macbook Pro myself?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So I'm in a bit of a situation!

I bought a 2011 Macbook Pro about a year ago. Everything was going great, and I was in love with it. Approximately six months later though, my now ex-girlfriend accidentally spilled water all over it (break up not related to accident, though I was tempted at that point).

We immediately powered it down, and let it dry off for a few days. At first it wouldn't come on at all, and the screen was all messed up. Eventually though, it started working normally - as long as it was plugged in to AC power. If not plugged in, it will turn on and run fine for a few, but then everything with lag horribly.

We took it the Apple Store and naturally they want around $750 to repair it (saying they needed to replace all internal components "just in case they were damaged")

I'm now typing this up on the same notebook, and am beginning to wonder if there is anyone who can pinpoint where in the computer the problem may be if that is the only issue it is having. If that were possible, then maybe I can just take the chance and replace the part myself and hopefully save at least a little bit of money.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Without knowing specifically what parts are acting up its hard to figure what needs replacing

Was it just water that went on it, or was it Soda or beer

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

It is impossible to guess where the damage might be internally without taking the system apart. If it's like the logic board, that's going to be the piece that's going to cost you the most amount of money.

You didn't say which MBP you have, but this is the 2011 13" MBP instructions to replace a lot of the internals from iFixit.com, so you might as well open it up and see what's going on inside as long as you are comfortable doing that work..

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, it was just room temperature water from a water bottle.

And also, it is a 13 Inch MBP 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you like pulling things apart then you could use the ifixit guide, clean it out with compressed air and alcohol and reassemble

Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Early 2011 Logic Board Replacement - iFixit

One tip, as you take it apart, place all the screws in order in Florists Foam (any florist should sell this)
That way when you reverse and put it back together, the bits dont get all messed up

sundfoam2.jpeg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a 2011 Macbook Pro about a year ago.

I'm now typing this up on the same notebook, and am beginning to wonder if there is anyone who can pinpoint where in the computer the problem may be if that is the only issue it is having. If that were possible, then maybe I can just take the chance and replace the part myself and hopefully save at least a little bit of money.

Suffice it to say...what is probably liquid-damaged is something electronic. And "something electronic" (causing the issues you have) is related to the logic board. The logic board is very expensive...and why Apple quoted a $750 price tag for the repair. Logic boards cannot be repaired...they are replaced.

There is also the "Mag-Safe" board (which is primarily associated with the power plug)...which also could be replaced...and is far cheaper than a logic board. If you really want to repair your MacBook Pro...you probably need to find a replacement logic board & possibly a replacement mag-safe board.

But with a brand new 2012 13" MacBook Pro starting at $1199 (or a refurbished "late 2011" model for $929):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD313LL/A

...this may or may not be a good thing to do financially (unless you can find the parts cheap).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
It's too late now, but ideally immediately after the accident you should have taken the base off and disconnected the battery lead from the logic board. Then taking ESD precautions, removed the logic board, and cleaned it with a stiff brush and isopropyl alcohol. Then unscrew and lift up the Airport card so you can remove the optical drive, then if there's any liquid under it, clean it up. The same goes for removing the hard drive and battery, then checking under them. You'll need one of Apple's security screwdrivers for the battery. When cleaned up and dry, reassemble and hope the logic board wasn't damaged by the water when power was applied.

The chances are that the fault your describing is due to a logic board fault. If a part is liquid damaged, Apple will not supply exchange parts, you then pay full price, sometimes 100% more.

Have you any household contents insurance that would cover this?

OP
S
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I had no insurance that will cover it... Thank you all for your help though, I'll definitely look into all of these options!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.