MacBook Pro loud buzzing / grinding

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Mac Book pro mid 2010 which has developed a constant buzzing / gridning which is pretty loud. It is coming from the centre, sort of under the screen and above the key board. It starts as soon as I press the on button and does not stop until I shut down. I have tried reseting PRAM.

I recently noticed a problem when I was watching videos and the picture seemed to be lagging and causing slight lags in the mouse movement, but with the audio still going. I then opened FaceTime to go on a call and this was lagging to, so I closed it and a buzzing suddenly started.

iStat says that muy fan exhaust is 2000rpm, is this fast? The CPU temperature is 45.

Any solutions or ideas as to what is causing the noise?

Thanks
Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Unless it's coming through the speakers, only 2 things can cause noises as you described, fan/s or hard drive, most likely a fan. Open it up and listen. The 13" MBP has 1 fan, the 15" and 17" 2. If in doubt, briefly stop the fan with your finger to see if the noise stops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.