Mountain Lion Server and Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Here is a quick overview of what we currently have.

We have a Snow Leopard Server, running DHCP, Directory Services, AFP, DNS, FTP (don't actually use this), NFS, SMB, and VPN (don't use this either, at least not at the moment). We have about 25 Macs, and 6 PCs. Most of these Macs are connect to the Open Directory, 3 of the PCs are connected to Active Directory (Windows XP Users), and the other 3 PCs are connected to a Windows 2008 SBS Active Directory (Windows 7 Users). These Windows computers are in service to run Windows Only Software, such as Quickbooks, and MS Access, so switching to Mac is not an option, we have tried.

I am wondering if upgrading to Mountain Lion Server will have support for Active Directory Service, I know it will connect to one, but what about provide one to connect Windows Users?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Lion Server does not provide its own Active Directory service, that's a proprietary Microsoft technology

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I am aware of Lion, is Mountain Lion the same way?

Reaction score
Dont upgrade yet!! I have had a nightmare with the my PC's logging onto Mountain Lion Server and so have many others. I could catalogue my woes but let me say 2-3 weeks and some very expensive outside IT have not solved the problems and the shares on the PC's are entirely unstable. Mapped network drives fall out. Accounts almost unusable. Have some functionality now but its very patchy and hard to achieve. There seem to be many issues with the PC's "talking" to the directory and we have tried so many things.

Mine was a brand new server so no updgrade choice but I have wasted so much time on this and it has been a living **** with no real fix in sight, just work-arounds. I only have 2 PC's on site and Im going grey.... be warned lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.