Time Capsule or not..

Reaction score
Everytime I suggest that I buy a Time Capsule the random IT guy I suggest it to says don't spend all that money - any old external drive will do.
Purpose: I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro. I would like them networked and I need backups that I don't have to think about.
Do you experts think the way to go is a separate drive for each machine and figure out how to network them? I can't figure out which way to jump and would love some advice. PS Been a mac user for only 12mths so a bit novice..
My opinion is the Time Capsule is not expensive for this kind of job but over to you.

With thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There are alternatives to the Time Capsule (local external drives, Network Attached Storage, external drives connected to your router etc) but..... if the Time Capsule is within your budget then it's a very straightforward, fit for purpose, easy to use, set and forget device that will do exactly what you want.

The only thing to be aware of is how it's configured. It has a full router in there along with the hard disk. You can use this instead of or alongside your existing router.

But feel free to post back with how you are setup now (modem - router - connected by cable or wireless etc) and I'll be able to give you specifics.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you. I have a NetComm modem/router - wireless - ADSL2 connection. I use my iMac principally for business and my laptop principally for personal. I use iCloud which is fabulous for almost everything but I use Outlook for my emails and I would like to be able to access sent emails from either computer. I had an issue recently where my iMac would not open Outlook and I was in deep trouble for a few days.
I have a WD external drive for my laptop Time Machine and have just bought, but not yet opened, a Seagate GoFlex Desk 15TB USB .0/2.0 external drive - $99. I read somewhere that I would now need network cards to connect the 2 machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. So you'd hook the Time Capsule up to the existing modem/router. It can be set to run your wireless network or you can leave that function to the existing modem/router. I'd suggest using the Time Capsule for this but that can be resolved once you have it.

Taking the 'network card' comment first. Your Macs both have wireless and ethernet network adapters built in so you can connect wirelessly or using an ethernet cable.
Sorry if this is telling you what you already know but a network such as this is connected as follows:

The modem/router connects to your ADSL line and handles your broadband/internet connection. The router acts as a wireless & wired hub that your MacBook and iMac connect to (doesn't matter if they connect wirelessly or wired). The Time Capsule connects by cable to the router.
Using the router as a hub all your devices can 'see' one another and exchange data. They also all share the internet connection. Without throwing too much into the mix - the Time Capsule is a very capable router and I'd suggest using that to create a wireless network instead of your existing router (but as above, this is something that can be done at a later date).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for your Outlook/email request. In order for your email to be kept fully in sync across devices it must support a protocol called IMAP or be housed on an exchange server. This is independant of which email client you use, it could be Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird etc, the bottom line is that your email provider must offer this service.

Which email provider do you use?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.