10.6.8 Completely wipe a HD

Reaction score
On a Macbook Pro with 10.6.8. I have an External FW400 drive that I use for backing up my OS drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. I downloaded the latest version of this software, made a backup and the drive now has partition(s) I can't see or access anymore. I wish I didn't update Carbon Cloner because I assume the new options and features, which i was ignorant to, messed things up for me (my assumption).

When I go into Disk Utility it only shows me about 100gb of the 500gb HD. I want to wipe the entire drive as if it was factory default and start my cloning processes all over again. Is it possible I can do this in 10.6.8 with standard practices?

Thanks so much for your time!
Monty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Just choose the drive in Disk Utility and then click on the Erase tab, check you have the right format(MacOS Extended Journaled), then click on Erase. That will then wipe the HD ready to start again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And after that go into Partition and ensure the drive is set up as one single partition, and GUID under Options in Partition.

OP
M
Reaction score
If one can delete this thread that would be nice...

Thanks for your reply... I'm a bit embarrassed. I was told it was a 500gb HD, I opened up the casing and found it wasn't.

Thanks so much for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
:Blushing: What was it then? :D

OP
M
Reaction score
It was a 160gb, i guess the HD i was cloning never had more than 160gb of data on it until now... My first post was bonehead material... it figures. Sorry and am most certainly grateful.

Having apple ID issues for over a year which is why I came to your forums here. Over the years when I Google my mac issues your site/forums always came up... hence my visit. Great place and community, Thanks again!
-Monty

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.