USB to serial driver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
Hi
I need to get a USB to DB9 serial cable . Do I need a driver for this cable? It will connect to a 25 pin RS232 device. I have all the software for the communication all I need I for the Mac to see the USB to serial cable hence the need for a Driver? G4 or G3 OS 10.4.11 :Confused:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It entirely depends on the USB-DB9 cable..I've used a few that use the FTDI chip and they don't need any drivers to work on my iMac with Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion (can't speak for anything older)..

Whereas, I've also used a multi-port Serial to USB hub that required me to install a driver before it began to work.

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
It entirely depends on the USB-DB9 cable..I've used a few that use the FTDI chip and they don't need any drivers to work on my iMac with Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion (can't speak for anything older)..

Whereas, I've also used a multi-port Serial to USB hub that required me to install a driver before it began to work.

Is there a way I can tell when I buy the cable if it has the chip you speak of? I only need a single cable, no hub, it will feed a switch box to communicate with my CNC machine controls.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.