Long shutdown MB Air 2012

Reaction score
Hello there

I recently purchased a Macbook Air 2012 with SSD. It's lightning fast. 12 seconds boot and instant shutdown. However after a system upgrade through Apple, I do believe it was a fix with higher CPU usage on MB Air 2012, the shutdown has been longer, about 10-20 seconds, which I wouldn't mind if it wasn't because I'm going to reboot into Windows a lot. I'm not sure wether it's exactly that update or some other program.

It happened in Lion and persisted into Mountain Lion. I tried reinstalling OSX through the recovering partition (keeping apps and preferences) but the bug persisted.

My question is. How do I troubleshoot this? I know how to enter verbose mode, and some interesting stuff is showing when shutting down, as it seems to log some PID that can't be shut down. However the text is quickly gone and I can't find the spot in the log viewer. Can anyone help?

I'm pretty sure it has to do with some kext or application running in the background. Usual suspect is Parallels, which I tried uninstalling. But the problem was still there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.