Onyx Cannot Be Opened

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What is this nonsense about Preferences Security allowing only App Store and Approved Developers applications to open and how does one get around this block?

Okay to answer my own question to open these apps not seemingly approved by Big brother (App Store) Control click and away it goes. Is this only a ML feature?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
New feature of Mountain Lion Harry. Don't you love it? Big Brother is looking out for you! George Orwell must be rolling over in his grave. :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can change the GateKeeper settings in System Preferences. More here.

Welcome to Mountain Lion ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Have you actually encountered any unsigned apps, or are you asking in the hypothetical?

I would expect that most apps that are still supported would be signed by now.

[EDIT:
Code:
deepthought:~ technologist$ codesign -dvvv /Users/technologist/Desktop/OnyX.app 
/Users/technologist/Desktop/OnyX.app: code object is not signed at all
Huh, someone needs $99!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I imagine that applications that aren't developed with Xcode will lag behind simply because Apple seems to provide much more information about signing through Xcode. I know, for instance, that the applications that I develop will need to be signed and, not using Xcode, I'll have to find some time to learn how to sign it properly.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A simple way around this, aside from disabling GateKeeper, is to remove the quarantine extended attribute. A simple "xattr -l <app bundle>" will tell you if it's "quarantined":
Code:
~/Downloads :: xattr -l Firefox.app/
com.apple.FinderInfo:
00000000  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 00 00  |................|
00000010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
[B]com.apple.quarantine[/B]: 0001;5016f8da;Opera;|com.operasoftware.Opera
And a simple removal of that attribute should get you around it:
Code:
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine <app bundle>
I haven't tested this but apparently this is sufficient.

Now, as for signing your own apps, you'd have to either show people how to do this or tell them to allow unsigned apps (is GK an all or nothing deal or are there, for lack of a better word, exceptions?).

OP
harryb2448
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes technologist.

Downloaded the ML compatible Onyx and that is where I encountered Gatekeeper for the first time. Guess the best way is the Control-Click option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Now, as for signing your own apps, you'd have to either show people how to do this or tell them to allow unsigned apps (is GK an all or nothing deal or are there, for lack of a better word, exceptions?).

If Gatekeeper catches an app, right click on said app and select Open. Then Gatekeeper will ask if you want to allow the app through.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, well, I was pretty sure I was going to disable it anyway but now I know for sure that'll be the case.

Reaction score
Another way to get around it is to <control>-click open the app. If will then verify that you want to open it. This will then remove the restrictions for good. I don't remember where I found this, but it does work. I did it for Onyx.

C

chas_m

I think it's easy and fine to just change the gatekeeper prefs (under "Security and Privacy") to "anywhere" for a month or so. But after that you should change it back to "Mac App Store and identified developers."

All LEGIT Mac developers are registered with Apple and have been for years. Some need a little time to update their apps for Gatekeeper. It's not a big deal.

It's no more "big brother" than Apple requiring an admin password before allowing apps to alter your system. Unless you're actively looking for more malware in your life, Gatekeeper is a great feature that should make Macs much more safe they've ever been before.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's easy and fine to just change the gatekeeper prefs (under "Security and Privacy") to "anywhere" for a month or so. But after that you should change it back to "Mac App Store and identified developers."
What's the point in that? For a month or so, your Mac is "fair game" so to speak. Once you re-enable GK, you put yourself back in the same spot you were trying to avoid by disabling it. You've gained nothing but a month of keeping yourself open to the world.

All LEGIT Mac developers are registered with Apple and have been for years. Some need a little time to update their apps for Gatekeeper. It's not a big deal.
That couldn't be further from the truth. All of the development tools for OS X are free and don't require registration. On top of that, you've got the large number of developers who use "non-standard" tools to develop applications that don't require any Apple tools other than access to a Mac. For instance, me. I develop applications using Python and Vim, neither of which require me to have any contact with Apple in any form. And, last I checked, I'm a pretty "legit" guy. I'm not even sure I'd say that most are.

It's no more "big brother" than Apple requiring an admin password before allowing apps to alter your system.
That's a false analogy. That's like saying that a car maufacturer that tells me where I can and can't go (GateKeeper) is like them saying I need a seatbelt (admin password). An admin password doesn't hamper my experience or, by default (since /Applications is system read/writeable), prevent me from installing applications. GateKeeper on the other hand does.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If Gatekeeper catches an app, right click on said app and select Open. Then Gatekeeper will ask if you want to allow the app through.

Good catch Stretch of just turn off Gatekeeper!

When I first saw that name the movie The Net with Sandra Bullock came to mind. The security Software she was working with was called The Gatekeeper! :D

I liked Sandra in that movie plus all her computers were Macs! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.