problem migrating from Leopard to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Hello!!

The screen on my our old macbook crapped out on us today. We can only see the screen in very very bright light. A trip to the genius bar and we walked out of the store with a new macbook pro instead of getting the screen fixed. And now the real trouble begins...

It's a ***** to do anything with the old macbook because it's hard to see; however, I'm trying. I was able to transfer files over bluetooth but that's taking forever considering the amount of music and photos we have. I tried using the migration assistant and got so far as typing in the passcode on the old macbook, but then the new macbook says the other macbook isn't responding. When I look at the old macbook, it says it's looking for the other computer. ***!!!!

So how do I go about getting the junk off the old computer onto the new computer? Tempted to just go out and buy an external hard drive and doing it that way.

I tried to set up a network using an ethernet cable but I can't get the two macbooks to talk to each other.

Someone please help!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello!!

The screen on my our old macbook crapped out on us today. We can only see the screen in very very bright light. A trip to the genius bar and we walked out of the store with a new macbook pro instead of getting the screen fixed. And now the real trouble begins...

It's a ***** to do anything with the old macbook because it's hard to see; however, I'm trying. I was able to transfer files over bluetooth but that's taking forever considering the amount of music and photos we have. I tried using the migration assistant and got so far as typing in the passcode on the old macbook, but then the new macbook says the other macbook isn't responding. When I look at the old macbook, it says it's looking for the other computer. ***!!!!

So how do I go about getting the junk off the old computer onto the new computer? Tempted to just go out and buy an external hard drive and doing it that way.

I tried to set up a network using an ethernet cable but I can't get the two macbooks to talk to each other.

Someone please help!

Easiest is FireWire transfer if you can get your old MacBook to boot into it Target mode. Connect with FireWire cable, then start your old Mac while holding "T" down on the keyboard. Then you can use Migration Asst to transfer.

Also, you could pull the old Hard Drive and stick it in an external enclosure. Once your through transfer files, format it and use it for backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.