Quick question

Reaction score
Hey all -

Hope all is well with everyone. I just had a quick question for you guys. Ever since I downloaded ML, it seems that every time my Imac wakes from sleep, I have a message that one or more of my external drives has not been ejected properly. However, I am not ejecting any of the EHD. Has this happened to anyone? Anyone have any idea why this is happening or an idea on how to prevent this from happening?

Thank you in advance,
Hwilensky

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you also putting the external hard drives to sleep? If the externals are sleeping when the machine wakes, it's going to think the drives are no longer attached.

One of the reasons I personally do not leave any of my external hard drives attached to my iMac unless I'm using them.

OP
H
Reaction score
Are you also putting the external hard drives to sleep? If the externals are sleeping when the machine wakes, it's going to think the drives are no longer attached.

One of the reasons I personally do not leave any of my external hard drives attached to my iMac unless I'm using them.

I will look into it. If you don't leave externals connected, then how does time machine work?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Time Machine won't run when the machine is asleep. Thus, you don't need to keep them connected when you put your machine to sleep.

C

chas_m

Time Machine won't run when the machine is asleep. Thus, you don't need to keep them connected when you put your machine to sleep.

Actually, this is no longer true for some models:

Apple (Canada) - OS X Mountain Lion - See everything the new OS X can do.

However, we've not answered the real question. The problem here is that either the external drive has power-management software that causes it to sleep, or the user has the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" feature checked (very likely, as ML resets this back to the default).

I'd suggest he try first unchecking the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" option and see if that clears up the problem. If it doesn't, then the issue is likely to be with the drives' built-in power management that is causing them to unmount "without permission" so to speak.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Actually, this is no longer true for some models
PowerNap works with Time Capsules, not external drives. ;)

I don't have ML (I'm still waiting for the travesty that is the up-to-date program to actually work for me) but it sounds as if some of the drives may be unmounted when it goes to sleep. This could be purposive - USB activity may wake up the machine which would defeat the purpose of putting it to sleep in the first place. If this is true, it could be that ML is having difficulty remounting the drives. This, however, is pure speculation and hard for me to test right now.

Have you tried plugging one drive in at a time and putting the Mac to sleep to see if it's only specific drives causing the problem?

OP
H
Reaction score
Actually, this is no longer true for some models:

Apple (Canada) - OS*X Mountain Lion - See everything the new OS X can do.

However, we've not answered the real question. The problem here is that either the external drive has power-management software that causes it to sleep, or the user has the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" feature checked (very likely, as ML resets this back to the default).

I'd suggest he try first unchecking the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" option and see if that clears up the problem. If it doesn't, then the issue is likely to be with the drives' built-in power management that is causing them to unmount "without permission" so to speak.

I had the box ticked off, I unticked it and I will see how it performs. I will let you guys know the outcome. Thanks for all the information.

Hwilensky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.