No tabs view in Airport Utility to setup Guest Network

Reaction score
I just bought and setup a new 2T Time Capsule after my previous failed and died. It is currently backing up and I can use it as a network router. What I can not do is access the tabs view in Airport Utility. The only thing I get in Airport Utility is a grey box with a picture of the Earth , underneath a green dot with "Internet", a white line to a picture of the Time Capsule and underneath that a green dot with the name of my capsule. No tabs. Nothing where I can access the settings and set up a guest network. I have bummed around the AirPort Utility-File-Edit-Base Station-Window-Help options up top but to no success. I'm running AirPort Utility 6.1 (610.31). Thanks for helping.

UPDATE: I answered my question. I clicked on the picture of my Time Capsule which popped up a small screen with particulars like the network name, ISP address &c. I clicked on the Edit button and it took me to the tabs window where I could click on Internet and set up the guest network.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How in the heck am I supposed to look like a Genius telling you the answer if you go solving your own problems. lol.

Seriously, glad you got that working. The only reason I know where the settings were is from reading about the change shortly after the new version came out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I've been working with a new Time Capsule and the same new release of Airport Utility. I ran the automatic set up at the start. I discovered recently that my TC is set up in bridge mode. Comcast provides a modem/router combo unit and apparantly this caused my TC to set up in bridge mode. I have been struggling to find the "guest network" set up screens in Airport. I just now discovered that if you are set up in bridge mode Airport does not provide the option to set up a guest network. I posted this just in case others run into this thread searching for help with the same problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's right. I noticed that earlier in the week when another member asked a similar question. Since I don't have much need to set up a guest network I did not work ion a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of having the comcast router do the router work vs the time capsule. My uninformed instinct is to configure the comcast hardware to work as a modem only (or maybe if possible have it work like switch) and then configure the Time Capsule to deal with the router work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.