Syncing contacts & calender between two computers

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I have an iMac and I usually sync my phone's data(contacts & calendar) on that computer but I recently purchased a macbook air as well. I'd like to be able to sync the same set of information between the two computers. I want my iMac and macbook air to show identical calendars & save the contacts.

I've seen posts from people with similar scenarios such as syncing contacts & calendar on one computer and then music on another.

I don't want to sync different types of information on two different computers...I just want the same information synced on both...

If someone can please explain how to do this...i would GREATLY appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There are many ways to sync that information. Google, hosted exchange, etc. but why don't you like iCloud? It does exactly what you want across all the devices you mentioned. You didn't say if you were willing to pay or if you wanted free either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
In this day and age, iCloud as IvanLasston has stated is the best way, with the Mac that has the ability to do this. Im also curious as to why ?? Security ? Bandwidth ?
The other way is to sync both your Mac's with the iPhone. Takes time, but with wireless syncing now should be a breeze.

OP
D
Reaction score
In this day and age, iCloud as IvanLasston has stated is the best way, with the Mac that has the ability to do this. Im also curious as to why ?? Security ? Bandwidth ?
The other way is to sync both your Mac's with the iPhone. Takes time, but with wireless syncing now should be a breeze.

I've never really used iCloud except to track the location of a device but my understanding was that even if i used iCloud, I'd have to log into the iCloud website to view my data...right?

I know it may sound picky or anal or whatever you wanna call it but I don't like having to log into iCloud.com to view the information...for example...if i make a calendar appointment and i want that appointment to immediately sync to all my devices, i'd have to do it on the icloud website right?

if i'm wrong, PLEASE correct me...my ideal want is for example, make an appointment on my iphone calendar and immediately it syncs to my macbook air calendar application...or vice versa...

same thing with contacts, if i create a contact on my iPhone, immediately makes a copy of it to my contacts application on my macbook air..if icloud can do this, i will begin to use icloud immediately....

the reason is because I have the app shortcut to calander on my computers desktop and simply clicking on it gives me a view of my calendar and my appointments.

It's quick, and easy...I don't want to have to log into a website to be able to see this information...that is why if I'm able to sync my iphones data (contacts & calendar)...It just makes life easier for me...

(sorry for the long reply)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You don't need to log into the iCloud site to make and see changes. If a change is made on one device it can be seen on all other devices almost immediately unless you have the update set to something less often.

I have made certain changes on the iCloud site rather than iPad or iPhone simply because that is more convenient. When I made the shift from MobileMe to iCloud I used the site to delete hundreds of outdated calendar entries that went back five or six years.

This link will give you an overview of iCloud's features and system requirements Apple - iCloud - Your content. On all your devices.. Give it a try to see if it meets your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
My original link shows how to setup iCloud on each device. It is setup under settings on each device. It is set and forget so you login once then everything syncs, not logging into a website every time to update data.

One other piece of advice if you go this route. Have a separate iTunes login - the iTunes login can be shared with multiple people so music, movies and apps sync with everyone in the family. Everyone should have their own separate iCloud account - so they get their own pim information synced.

OP
D
Reaction score
My original link shows how to setup iCloud on each device. It is setup under settings on each device. It is set and forget so you login once then everything syncs, not logging into a website every time to update data.

One other piece of advice if you go this route. Have a separate iTunes login - the iTunes login can be shared with multiple people so music, movies and apps sync with everyone in the family. Everyone should have their own separate iCloud account - so they get their own pim information synced.

Great!

Thanks everyone, I will give it a try soon...hopefully it all works out. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@OP One thing to keep in mind when syncing using iCloud and iPhone. When you are setting up synching decide whether you want iCloud or iTunes t push calendar, mail, and contact information to the phones. If they pull information from the cloud and iTunes also push this information when you sync with iTunes you will end up with duplicate entries. In your case you will likely want the information to come down from iCloud.

OP
D
Reaction score
@OP One thing to keep in mind when syncing using iCloud and iPhone. When you are setting up synching decide whether you want iCloud or iTunes t push calendar, mail, and contact information to the phones. If they pull information from the cloud and iTunes also push this information when you sync with iTunes you will end up with duplicate entries. In your case you will likely want the information to come down from iCloud.

Thanks for the tip!

Also, since I've been backing everything up to my computer (iMac)...once i enable icloud...will it delete all my information on my iphone and sync it with what I have on icloud?

Currently, icloud has no information is stored on there...I only use it to track a computers/phone's location.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.