ibook or powerbook?arrgh!

Reaction score
hi,

i recently sold my powerbook (not because of the scratch) hehe, but now i missed my aluminum powerbook and i'm kinda sad when i think of it. Now i feel like i want to buy the 12 inch aluminum powerbook again. the problem is i'm confuse what should i choose. should i get the ibook 14 inch or the the powerbook 12 inch? i'm a college student, i only use my notebook for school purposes only and chats and surf. not work related. i know maybe this questions are very common and maybe theres already a thread that asked the same q's but i cant find it. so i had to post this one. thank you for your help!

H

heedree

patria said:
hi,

i recently sold my powerbook (not because of the scratch) hehe, but now i missed my aluminum powerbook and i'm kinda sad when i think of it. Now i feel like i want to buy the 12 inch aluminum powerbook again. the problem is i'm confuse what should i choose. should i get the ibook 14 inch or the the powerbook 12 inch? i'm a college student, i only use my notebook for school purposes only and chats and surf. not work related. i know maybe this questions are very common and maybe theres already a thread that asked the same q's but i cant find it. so i had to post this one. thank you for your help!

I'm still a mac noob, but I would like to make a suggestion anyway.

If you're not going to do anything professional related on the laptop and are using it just for school and surfing/chatting then you're way better off with an ibook as it's cheaper and you can get one with a bigger screen for the same price.

that's just my 2 cents.

M

musikal1

I fully agree with heedree. I too am a college student, and I use my 14 inch ibook for school stuff, messaging, and light music work. Best bang for your buck :black:

J

jinsaotome

i too am a noob but heres my two cents...if u really arent doing anything other than word processing and surfing then go with the ibook like someone else suggested.

Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and go against the ibook and say that you should get a powerbook. Powerbooks stay in shape better than ibooks (ibooks get dirty and scratch way easy), plus the powerbook 12in screen still shows the same amount of pixels as the 14inch ibook, meaning the display is more crisp.

Furthermore, the powerbook is a little faster, and just looks a lot better in my opinion.

If these things are not important to you, then I say go for the ibook anyways.

Oleg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
go for the iBook and save a wad of cash by doing so ;)

K

Koorong

Chalk up another vote for the iBook.
- Save money.
- Granted, you are getting 1.33 vs 1.5GHz in an iBook, but you could also shell out a few more bucks to double your RAM and still be saving money.
- Save money.
- By the time your iBook gets scratched up enough to make you care, it's probably time to get a new laptop anyways (and by then you can buy a non-first generation MacTel, woohoo).
- Think of all the nice accessories you can buy with the few hundred dollars you just saved yourself.

But I do have to agree, the Powerbook does aesthetically look slicker and sleeker than the iBook. =)

Reaction score
I am a university student who made the switch to Mac about a year and a half ago. When I started looking at notebooks, I decided that I wanted a 12". I ended up buying a Powerbook. When I was looking, the difference between the iBook and the Powerbook was about $400 (CDN, eh). At the time, the iBooks didn't come with airport so I would have to get that installed for $150. Now the difference between them was $250. I decided that having a 60Gb HD vs a 30Gb, and having a 1.33 processor vs a 1Ghz was worth $250 to me. You should ask yourself if the better specs are worth the extra money to you.

Just my 2.329 cents.

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

sniper said:
get the PB im in highschool and i love my PB i think its alot better than a ibook

I second that i think the powerbook is built a lot better than the Ibook but internally the Ibook is an older powerbook. i have never gotten an Ibook and have been happy with the quality of the powerbook my last PB i had was 8 years old and still worked great. I got my powerbook with all the good stuff on it knowing that it wont be obsolete for a long time. if you plan on keeping a computer for a long time i recommend spending the extra money for the computer with more option on it, they might not seem necessary now but that will change as time goes on.

Reaction score
If you have the cash to spare-get the PowerBook. You never know what may come up in the future for you, and I would rather have that extra power, memory, etc. in case you ever need it.

But if money is an issue-then you need to get the Ibook. However, I vote for the PowerBook. Okay, maybe I am being partial since I have the PowerBookG4 :)

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
I have an iBook but if i had the cash i would get a powerbook because i like to create alot of dvds and videos and my iBook isnt exactly the fastest at it. But if you cant spare the cash go with the iBook youll be just as happy! with extra cash...

C

crispeto

I recently sold my ibook to purchase a PB. I got the 12" with the 80 gb HD and the DVDRW. The only reason I made the switch is because I got it new for $1199. If I hadn't got such a special deal, I'd still have my ibook and I'd still be happy with it. I loved my ibook but have to admit I like like my PB more. Either way you'll be happy but at $1499 I think the PB is a bit expensive compared to what you can do with the extra money you could spend on the ibook. I guess it really comes down to $$$.

D

DigitalN.

I personally want a powerbook just for the closed lid mode. it is so not good when you only have 16MB VRAM going to a 20" display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
sniper said:
get the PB im in highschool and i love my PB i think its alot better than a ibook

It should, they cost alot more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
The biggest difference ( I think ) that would make me go to PB over an iBook is the DVI screen spanning capabilities. With more video ram, you can hook up to a 23"+ display, and close the lid and use that screen's native resolution.

Of course, if you're in college, and the laptop's screen is good enough, and you don't do any graphics work, you'd be dumb to get a PB.

I know how tight money can be in college ;).

There's a target for the iBook: consumer, and the target for powerbook is professional. Define yourself, are you a normal consumer (or student), or a professional. There's your answer.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys well it made me think though, one more question, does the radeon and gforce have the same quality? which one is better? thanks

pat

D

DigitalN.

patria said:
thanks for the replies guys well it made me think though, one more question, does the radeon and gforce have the same quality? which one is better? thanks

pat
the radeon is faster, but with 32MB it is handicapped, but the FX5200 with 64MB with be able to push ACDs to their native and still have the effects in OSX. in terms of quality, it is negligable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Pierre said:
The biggest difference ( I think ) that would make me go to PB over an iBook is the DVI screen spanning capabilities. With more video ram, you can hook up to a 23"+ display, and close the lid and use that screen's native resolution.

Of course, if you're in college, and the laptop's screen is good enough, and you don't do any graphics work, you'd be dumb to get a PB.

I know how tight money can be in college ;).

There's a target for the iBook: consumer, and the target for powerbook is professional. Define yourself, are you a normal consumer (or student), or a professional. There's your answer.

I've known many consumers who opt for the powerbook just because its looks are far better and it is slightly faster... the line between the performance of the two is not very big, leaving the powerbook open to buyers of all types.

I personally would say wait until the new macs come out in jan. and buy it for less than you would pay now... It's only a few weeks off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.