Leopard to Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
OK, so I'm still stuck in the past, but I have an old MacBook with Leopard, and my other two machines have Snow Leopard. I would like them all to be on the same system.

Is it possible to upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard or, if I want all the machines on the same system, do I need to change all three to Lion?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK, so I'm still stuck in the past, but I have an old MacBook with Leopard, and my other two machines have Snow Leopard. I would like them all to be on the same system.

Is it possible to upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard or, if I want all the machines on the same system, do I need to change all three to Lion?

I'm a little confused at the confusion?? If you have three Macintosh computers (two of them are already running Snow Leopard, and a third a MacBook, is running Leopard)...then all you have to do is upgrade the 3rd computer (MacBook) to Snow Leopard...and all three computers will be running the same OS version.

If there is something I'm missing that makes this project more complicated...please post.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
No you have it correct, all I want to do is upgrade the old machine to Snow Leopard, but I can't find anywhere on Apples Download pages the ability to do that. It appears they are no longer offering an upgrade from Leopard to SL... or maybe I just can't find it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When Mountain Lion was released earlier this week, Snow Leopard for $29 disappeared off their page. I have a feeling you will have to now find it elsewhere like ebay. Amazon might have a few copies left.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No you have it correct, all I want to do is upgrade the old machine to Snow Leopard, but I can't find anywhere on Apples Download pages the ability to do that.

Snow Leopard has never been a downloadable OS version. Snow Leopard was the last version of the Mac OS to be sold on a disk. Only OS 10.7 Lion and OS 10.8 Mountain Lion were/are downloadable (and at this point Lion is no longer available as a download either).

As "dtravis7" recommended...you have to look at other sources to purchase a Snow Leopard install disk (Amazon, Craig's List, e-Bay, etc.).

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
I called Apple customer service. They said they could sell me a copy for $29, but after putting me on hold for a VERY long time to figure that out, they finally said they would send one at no charge for "me being so patient". I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll see a disk.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called Apple customer service. They said they could sell me a copy for $29, but after putting me on hold for a VERY long time to figure that out, they finally said they would send one at no charge for "me being so patient". I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll see a disk.

No need to be "cautiously optimistic". If Apple says they will do it...they will do it!:) Besides...you're getting a $29 Snow Leopard install disk for free. "Cautiously Optimistic" or not...you lose nothing either way!;)

We've all spent long times on hold when calling a companies customer service...and walk away with nothing but frustration. Getting a free $29 OS install disk sounds pretty good to me!:)

Congrats,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
My guess is that it's not in the ordering system anymore, so they have to ship it out for free, because they can't bill you for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.