Mountain lion and apple usb keyboard

Reaction score
Hi I installed OSX mountain lion and now the number pad on my apple keyboard doesn't work is there a pref somewhere to turn it on? I looked in keybard prefs but saw nothing.

eggman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac-21.5, iPad and a iPhone.track pad, magic mouse,
Im no computer tech by no means, after installing ML my key board also didnt function properly. I unpluged the power cord after shutting down. I waited about a minute before I pluged the coard back in and the keybord has worked perfectly from then on. I guess it reset its self?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That is odd. I just tried the keyboard from my old G3 and things seem to work fine. Including the number pad. Can't try one of the newer usb keyboards yet.

Do the numbers not appear at all or are they just slower appearing? Of slower check the Universal Access settings for the keyboard. Check the Slow Keys settings.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for answering. I found the problem I had to turn off "enable mouse keys" in the accessibility prefs panel. That got the number pad working again.

eggman

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for reporting back with that in case someone else runs into it. I was wondering for a bit as I use the USB Metal apple keyboard with the Number pad and it works great in ML.

Reaction score
Next time try not to use any application while upgrading the OS X. When finish run a repair permissions just as a precaution.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Next time try not to use any application while upgrading the OS X. When finish run a repair permissions just as a precaution.

@Dennis This has me thinking don't the installers for Lion and Mountain Lion remind you to quit programs during installation? Even going so far as to offer to quit them for you.

@Rob206 I generally don't bother running permissions after an OS installation. File permissions for the system files should have been set correctly by the installer. About the only way I can think of for them to be messed up after an installation is if some third-party app has been installed as well.

Reaction score
No keyboard after 10.8 upgrade

Hi guys, I've got a similar problem. Well, sort of.

I decided to upgrade my 2008 Mac Pro to 10.8. I downloaded it via the app store, ran it and let it do its thing.
After it had finished the Mac booted up and took me to my log in screen.
This is when I realised that the Apple USB aluminium keyboard doesn't work any more. The mouse didn't either so I plugged that in directly to a USB port and it worked great. But the keyboard still doesn't.
I've tried a spare USB aluminium keyboard with no joy and I even tried a HP USB keyboard with no joy.

So in short, I can't log in as I have no way of entering my password. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 5.1, 8 core, SSD, 48GB, HD5870
Hi guys, I've got a similar problem. Well, sort of.

I decided to upgrade my 2008 Mac Pro to 10.8. I downloaded it via the app store, ran it and let it do its thing.
After it had finished the Mac booted up and took me to my log in screen.
This is when I realised that the Apple USB aluminium keyboard doesn't work any more. The mouse didn't either so I plugged that in directly to a USB port and it worked great. But the keyboard still doesn't.
I've tried a spare USB aluminium keyboard with no joy and I even tried a HP USB keyboard with no joy.

So in short, I can't log in as I have no way of entering my password. Any ideas?

We are in the same boat. I have Mac Pro 3.1, tried ALU wired and bluetooth apple keyboard, both are dead in ML install.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19038505#19038505
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4137142?start=0&tstart=0

Reaction score
We are in the same boat. I have Mac Pro 3.1, tried ALU wired and bluetooth apple keyboard, both are dead in ML install.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19038505#19038505
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4137142?start=0&tstart=0

Cheers for the links. I'll post up on there too.
Mine is now coming up with the "No bluetooth keyboard detected" message even though the wired USB keyboard is connected. I've never had a wireless keyboard so it must be a default setting of mountain lion to start looking for one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just one thing I dont understand: there is a lot of people who have Mac Pro 3.1 with no single problem with Mountain Lion:

MacPro '08 3,1 and Mountain Lion - MacRumors Forums

What could be our problem: EFI version maybe ?

:Confused:

Mountain Lion will NOT install on any Mac with 32-Bit EFI. That is a known and confirmed fact. There is no more 32-Bit Kernel in Mountain Lion. The WHOLE computer and not just the CPU has to be 64-Bit from the EFI Firmware on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mountain Lion will NOT install on any Mac with 32-Bit EFI. That is a known and confirmed fact. There is no more 32-Bit Kernel in Mountain Lion. The WHOLE computer and not just the CPU has to be 64-Bit from the EFI Firmware on.

Mac Pro 3.1 (Early 2008) has 64-bit EFI, and is on the Apple's supported Macs list for Mountain Lion.

Original Mac Pro 1.1 (Mid 2006), and 2.1 (2007) have 32-bit EFI. They are officially not supported.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
After a few tests it seems there is no way for me to get the keyboard to work. Some people have been lucky where it just started working again but I've not had this.

So, for now, I've reverted back to 10.7 via a system restore and my time machine backup. I now have a working keyboard again. It amazed me that I could get through the system restore without having to tap any keys, except for the initial cmd+R on start up.
So I'm back up and running and for those of you who use the computer for work, I suggest you do the same. I do hope that all of you did a time machine backup prior to installing 10.8!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remove AirPort card from Mac Pro and USB will work just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.