New owner used MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Help! This month I purchased a Oct. 2011 MacBook Pro OS 10.7.4 from a guy on eBay. Seems to work just fine but cannot get all his stuff off the machine. I contacted him and got his password. Then I changed the computer name (under Sharing), and removed him as a user and made myself administrator (Users & Groups). I deleted all his old files that I could find (dragged to trash and did Secure Empty Trash) . However he keeps showing up ...... Today I tried to update Apps at the App Store and his account shows up. When I log him off/out and put in my info I get an error message! ("You have updates available for other accounts. Sign in (to other guys account" to update.") AND it won't let me update my apps from my account. I have no idea where he will pop up again.....

Is there any hope other than doing a COMPLETE scrub of the machine and starting over? There were no discs included.... assume I would have to get OS as download? Also, I have already installed my Microsoft Office suite and to reinstall would lose one activaiton. :Grimmace::Confused:

Reaction score
Help! This month I purchased a Oct. 2011 MacBook Pro OS 10.7.4 from a guy on eBay. Seems to work just fine but cannot get all his stuff off the machine. I contacted him and got his password. Then I changed the computer name (under Sharing), and removed him as a user and made myself administrator (Users & Groups). I deleted all his old files that I could find (dragged to trash and did Secure Empty Trash) . However he keeps showing up ...... Today I tried to update Apps at the App Store and his account shows up. When I log him off/out and put in my info I get an error message! ("You have updates available for other accounts. Sign in (to other guys account" to update.") AND it won't let me update my apps from my account. I have no idea where he will pop up again.....

Is there any hope other than doing a COMPLETE scrub of the machine and starting over? There were no discs included.... assume I would have to get OS as download? Also, I have already installed my Microsoft Office suite and to reinstall would lose one activaiton. :Grimmace::Confused:

Do you have an Apple Store near you? Seems everything is still locked into the original owners Apple account and this must get changed as you being the new owner. Maybe someone else has a better answer, but I think it's something that Apple will need to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Back up your data. Then restart the computer and hold down Command + R as you restart. Start holding as soon as you hear the chime. This will boot into the recovery mode. Now you can erase the hard drive, and reinstall a fresh machine. Once the reinstall is finished, copy your data back to the machine and it will be 100% yours. No old users, everything will be yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not know if that will work Stretch as App Store account is in former user's name. Perhaps your best answer lay in using Software Update, then open an App Store account pay the $20 to download Mountain Lion, burn a copy to a USB thumb stick before installing.

Boot from the thumb stick, erase and format the hard drive and do a clean install. This will wipe everything off the drive so if there is anything in particular you want saved, backup to an external drive. Here is how to burn the USB thumb stick, choosing the DIY option.

http://lifehacker.com/592878

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Do not know if that will work Stretch as App Store account is in former user's name. Perhaps your best answer lay in using Software Update, then open an App Store account pay the $20 to download Mountain Lion, burn a copy to a USB thumb stick before installing.

Boot from the thumb stick, erase and format the hard drive and do a clean install. This will wipe everything off the drive so if there is anything in particular you want saved, backup to an external drive. Here is how to burn the USB thumb stick, choosing the DIY option.

http://lifehacker.com/592878

Well that's a bummer if it doesn't work like that. I figured it would, as it is essentially the same as using a restore DVD from pre Lion computers. Didn't think about the App Store registration of the computer.

Reaction score
Is there any hope other than doing a COMPLETE scrub of the machine and starting over?
You should ALWAYS do a COMPLETE scrub and start over - if for no other reason than to ensure there is not a keylogger or other secret software installed. Frankly, I think it's very foolish not to do a complete wipe and fresh install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.