newbie wanting advice

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have to admit I had a mac in the 90's when not too many had one but haven't had one since! I've been using a Toshiba Satellite a100 15.6 inch core duo since 2006. It's still competent and working well for the most part but I seem to be longing for a macbook. I currently have an ipad2 as well.

I will still use my Toshiba from time to time but will leave it mainly as a desktop for my family. I'm looking between a brand new entry level 13" Macbook Pro or a refurb fall 2011 15" from the apple store. My main uses will be more all-purpose (e.g. browsing, email, typing blogs). I am no gamer. I'd like to use it to store photos, videos, and music stored in it as well.

I am contemplating between the two because I wonder if I would miss out with either of them. For example:
1. the new 13" has usb 3.0 vs the 15" 2.0. Is it something that I will miss out on in the future?
2. With the 15" screen resolution and overall power of the machine vs the relatively less in the 13". I don't know if I should just get the more powerful machine. At the same time, I'm not sure I need to have that much power. But at the same time I'm wondering if the 15" would be a better "Apple" experience.

Price is not a big issue. However, I will be able to save about $300 with the 13", which I don't mind either. I'm sure since both are MBP's the durability is not an issue. I would like to keep this purchase for a while.

If any of you could give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Wait a bit and you can probably pick up a refurb new model 15in MBP.

Though, hard to see how you could go wrong with either. You aren't a high power demand user from your description, so depends on how important portability is.

OP
A
Reaction score
Wait a bit and you can probably pick up a refurb new model 15in MBP.

Though, hard to see how you could go wrong with either. You aren't a high power demand user from your description, so depends on how important portability is.

Thanks for your reply Razormac! Portability isn't an issue since I would be using it at my local Starbucks, home, and work. On trips, I would normally bring my ipad. I know this may be a long shot but would you know the time frame from when they begin putting the latest models on the refurb store? I know it would be a guess but not sure if you would know. Thanks again.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for your reply Razormac! Portability isn't an issue since I would be using it at my local Starbucks, home, and work. On trips, I would normally bring my ipad. I know this may be a long shot but would you know the time frame from when they begin putting the latest models on the refurb store? I know it would be a guess but not sure if you would know. Thanks again.

I wouldn't know . . . But there are always returns and buyers remorse. So I wouldn't expect it to be long at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.