Moutain Lion can't be installed

Reaction score
Error "OSX can't be insatlled on the disk MacintoshHD, because a recovery system can't be created.

"Click restart to return to your previous vesrion of OSX"

When I click "restart" the system attempts to install 10.8 again, not restart in 10.7

Any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How are you installing 10.8? Memory stick or the download from Apple? Try rebooting and hold down the Option Key when you hear the Startup Sound and keep it down and see if a Boot loader menu shows up.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Dennis I was installing from Apple, This has worked to get me into OSX!!! Will I have the same issue if I restart or is the Mountain Lion Istallation now complete?

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
G
Reaction score
As I am now running on 10.7.4 how do I reslove the installation issues with 10.8?

Reaction score
I had the same problem. My issue was that my partition map was corrupted. I suspect yours is too. I believe installing Bootcamp and resizing the partition can cause this.

You can check to see the partition map by running Disk Utility. Select the main hard drive. If the "Partition" tab isn't visible, you have selected a partition and you need to select its parent drive. Click on the "Verify" button. I didn't write down the exact phrase but is was something along the lines of the partition map being corrupt.

This is what I did to get Mountain Lion installed. Only do this if you have a Time Machine backup of all your data, a backup of your Bootcamp partition if necessary, and an Internet connection.

1. Use Disk Utility to erase your hard drive. Make sure it's not the Time Machine hard drive! Use the "Mac OS Extended (Journal)" format. This rewrites your drive with a new partition table.

2. Reboot your machine and hold down the Command and R keys. (It can take several minutes for the Internet recovery to be loaded.)
Reinstall the Mac OS X. I didn't use the Time Machine backup.

3. Reboot again holding down the Command and R keys. Reinstall your newest Time Machine backup.

4. Reboot into OS X and run your Mountain Lion install again.

You can probably skip step 2 but I don't know for certain. I'm just listing the steps I did and know work. I did step 2 because I was trying to get my Lion recovery partition back. Unfortunately step 3 eliminated the recovery partition. However, the Mountain Lion install created one.

I hope this works for you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.