• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

A novice to video editing

Reaction score
My son got a Go Pro camera, and we got some good video. I am trying to edit it in CS5 and am struggling bad. The only editing program my Power Mac has is CS5. I would like to find an easier program to use. Can any of you suggest a program that is simple? All I really need is the ability to edit out the portions that we don't need.
thank you,
Ken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Do you not have iMovie?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might give MPEG Streamclip a try. It is free and according to the site should work on your system. It is good for the kind of editing you want to do as well as converting to other formats.

Playback/conversion of some formats requires the MPEG 2 Playback Component from Apple but I would try it without it first.

OP
C
Reaction score
Do you not have iMovie?
No I do not.

You might give MPEG Streamclip a try. It is free and according to the site should work on your system. It is good for the kind of editing you want to do as well as converting to other formats.

Playback/conversion of some formats requires the MPEG 2 Playback Component from Apple but I would try it without it first.
I will try that. Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I did a little poking around on the manufacturers website for this series of cameras and found the following:
**When you have the camera connected via the USB cord, please make sure that you have the camera powered on. The computer will not recognize a USB connection when the camera is powered off. You also need to have a SD card inserted, for the computer to recognize a connection.**
Try leaving the card in the camera and connecting a usb cable then turning the camera on. Your program may "see" the card then and treat the footage as a series of files on a disk drive.

Sometimes you can also read the files by inserting the SD card into a card reader rather than using the camera. You can then copy information from the card to your hard drive. Copy the folders intact not just the video files.

Do you know what format the video is stored in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Reaction score
My son got a Go Pro camera, and we got some good video. I am trying to edit it in CS5 and am struggling bad. The only editing program my Power Mac has is CS5. I would like to find an easier program to use. Can any of you suggest a program that is simple? All I really need is the ability to edit out the portions that we don't need.
thank you,
Ken.

Ken, CS5 is not a video editing program, it is for photo editing. Check out and go to applications, find iMovie there, open it, go to file and click 'import', wait for the file to be downloaded on 'New Event' box below..once the download is completed, copy/paste the entire selection and drag it up to the Timeline box above.. from here you could preview your file... do that and come back to me for the next move:)

OP
C
Reaction score
CS5 has Premiere Pro in it. Premiere Pro is a Movie editing program. It is one of the best, but very hard to use.
Here is a screen shot of all of my applications.(no I-movie) Can it be downloaded free?
ScreenShot2012-07-31at92943PM.png

Reaction score
CS5 has Premiere Pro in it. Premiere Pro is a Movie editing program. It is one of the best, but very hard to use.
Here is a screen shot of all of my applications.(no I-movie) Can it be downloaded free?
ScreenShot2012-07-31at92943PM.png

That's pretty awesome, Ken... did CS5 come along with your purchase of the Power Mac? In that case why bother for iMovie when you have this Adobe Premiere within your systems? Just get a tutorial and dabble with the possibilities on trial and error... you'll get there.

OP
C
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome, Ken... did CS5 come along with your purchase of the Power Mac? In that case why bother for iMovie when you have this Adobe Premiere within your systems? Just get a tutorial and dabble with the possibilities on trial and error... you'll get there.

Yes, I bought the computer used from a Graphics student, that has a student license. I have no instructions. I will try Utube for some how to videos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.