Notification Center not working in Mountain Lion, help please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5"iMac 3.06GhZ Core i3, 500GB, 4GB DDR3, 256 MB graphics GDDR3, OSX10.6.8, iPhone4G 16GB Bl. 4.01
I just upgraded my iMac from Mac OS X 10.7.6 Lion to OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion and I was looking forward to certain features that I enjoy on my my iPhone 4S like the Notification Center, Reminders, Notes, and other features. The Notification Center is giving me trouble though. The status bar icon is showing up in the right hand corner, but when I press it, the screen moves left and the NC doesn't show up, it's just blank. I restarted my computer and then pressed it, and it showed up for a second but there were no notifications. I went to the NC in Preferences and made sure I had each app's options selected and turned on, but the NC still didn't show up. I don't know what's going on here and it's rather annoying. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if they or anyone else knows how to fix it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, support for Notification Center (on the Mac) is pretty limited at this point - in other words, there are very few apps that will actually display a notification. Is it possible (maybe) that you simply don't have any notifications to display? Just a thought.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5"iMac 3.06GhZ Core i3, 500GB, 4GB DDR3, 256 MB graphics GDDR3, OSX10.6.8, iPhone4G 16GB Bl. 4.01
No I definitinely should have notifications being displayed. But not only that, like I said in my OP, the Notification screen isn't even popping up, it moves everything to the left when I press the little icon if you know what i mean, but it's invisible, there's nothing actually there! But I know I shyould have notifications because I use the same account for my iPhone and I have tons of mail, messages, and things that it should be showing.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had my email and twitter, chrome all set up and it still doesn't appear.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's hard to believe I'm the only one with this problem

Reaction score
I have the same problem. The only notification that I have gotten is email and that is not consistent...it may come through or may not. I feel like it will be resolved via an update. There are definitely some bugs that need to be ironed out ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I get notifications but they disappear in a couple of minutes from the center. I changed the settings to allow 10 to stay for Chat, email and other apps but still the same one shows and goes away. I also have sound turned on but never hear a sound when they come in. I feel an Update will soon follow.

Reaction score
similar issue here, have notifications set up for mail, messages, calendar, reminders etc..

and have mail rules set up, to provide notifications for mail from my contacts / airline tickets etc

but not getting any and can't understand why - I'm not the most techno-savvy person out there, and there's a lot I don't know, but I'm no dunderhead like .. is there some magic button I need to press ? ( other than what's already on my screen )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011
same issue here......well I don't use the ical or reminders or anything, but 3 email accounts are setup on the default Mail app and yet never receive notifications for new email

Reaction score
The problem may be Clean Slate app

So, support for Notification Center (on the Mac) is pretty limited at this point - in other words, there are very few apps that will actually display a notification. Is it possible (maybe) that you simply don't have any notifications to display? Just a thought.

I have been banging my head against the wall with the exact same issue and just discovered that my problem is I use an app called Clean Slate that hides all my desktop items. Apparently when Clean Slate is active the Notification Center will slide everything on your screen over to the left, but nothing appears on the right. Hrmmmm, now I have to begin keeping my desktop nice :(

Reaction score
brute force, but it seems to work

And this only works if you use IMAP (e.g., GMail) and you can afford to lose access to your local email repo on your iMac.

I will admit, I believe that blowing away the mailbox might be unnecessary and the real steps that make a difference start with step 4.

That being said, and there very well could be a simpler way, this definitely worked for me:

a. make sure that the Mail app is closed

1. cd /Users/<your user account>/Library

rename your Mail folder
3. mv Mail OldMail

4. open "Mail, Contacts & Calendars"

5. select your IMAP configured email account; click the minus sign ('-') to remove it

6. click the plus sign ('+') and add your email account again

7. open the Mail app again; leave it running in the background

At this point, I see all the email I still have in my inbox start flying by in the notification banners. Eventually it calmed down and now I see new mail notifications when they arrive.

I also saw this; perhaps it will help someone:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4181660?start=0&tstart=0

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.