iMac G5 Newbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Hello,

The last Apple computer is used was a IIe in high school. I've been on Windoze ever since.

Our home computer is a Gateway purchased in 1999 and NEVER upgraded.

I'm not a computer tech guy, I don't like to (nor do I want to) rip my computer apart to upgrade or fix things. We finally decided it was time for a new machine.

I have known for a long time that I wanted to try a Mac. I like the stability and style selling points. Plus, they seem designed for the applications that I want to pursue (digital video editing). I would like to make my own home movie DVDs. We have a lot of old tapes of our kids, I would like to edit them onto DVD. Anyway, that's a ways down the road.

Right now I want to know what to expect with the OS. I literally have no idea how to use it.

I also wanted to say thanks in advance to the people who know stuff about Macs and hang out in this forum to help newbies like me.

Thanks - Jeremy

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Welcome to the world of Macs and OSX and welcome to Mac Forums.

If you have any questions or need any help at all, just ask. Try to tell us what you are having problems with and someone here will answer your questions.

Again Welcome aboard!!

S

supremeoverlord

Hey sounds like a good choice with the imac. Just expect to relearn some basics of how you do some stuff on the computer. On the plus side most of it is more intuitive and reliable and easier to get at. I would recommend any of the missing manual books to help you with any problems. Aside from that, just jump right in and get to know the little guy.

OP
Jeremy W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Oh - I forgot to mention. I don't have the machine yet.

It's on its way as a Christmas gift to us.

I ordered an iMac G5 - bumped the RAM up to 1 Gig.

250 Gig HD

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Jeremy W said:
Oh - I forgot to mention. I don't have the machine yet.

It's on its way as a Christmas gift to us.

I ordered an iMac G5 - bumped the RAM up to 1 Gig.

250 Gig HD

Great Christmas gift! That is what I was given for Christmas also but they gave it to me early. Same exact machine. I think you will really like it.

Reaction score
What program do you plan on using for video stuff, just so you know, you will need all kinds of stuff or one expencive thing to get the vcr tapes to dvd.

I have the same machine but i have 1.5 gb ram (for final cut)

F

ForeverG5

Hey Jeremy! Sounds like an awesome machine you are getting for Christmas. 20" iMac with 250GB HD and 1GB RAM will run more wonderfully than you think. :) If you need any help with OS X feel free to ask me or anyone else around here. I'm Caitlyn by the way.

OP
Jeremy W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
EDIT-XTREEM said:
What program do you plan on using for video stuff, just so you know, you will need all kinds of stuff or one expencive thing to get the vcr tapes to dvd.

I have the same machine but i have 1.5 gb ram (for final cut)

EDIT-XTREEM - Thanks for the info. I'm going to learn OSX first, then cross the video editing bridge when I come to it. I'm making my way slowly around the learning curve.

I'm ok with spending cash on getting tapes onto DVD, they are precious memories of my kids. :)

U

UncSki1218

yeah...welcome. just remember as others said...you'll be re learning the basics. everything is easier and obvious. in other words, if you have to do 10 things to do something on a pc it will only take 3 on the mac. but, chances are you'll be trying to do it the hard way for a week. just remember...try the more ovbiious simple way. jus get used to the computer and feel free to ask any questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Welcome to the forums, I am sure that you will have no regrets in joining the community and using your new toy.. I would suggest that you get stuck in with it and take it as it comes. You really cant go that wrong with them.

Have a look at http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/ to see what you are getting. Maybe have a look at the WWDC quicktime downloads as whilst the content might not mean much to you, it will give you an opportunity of OSX being used etc..

OP
Jeremy W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Having a lot of fun with our new imac today! :headphone

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
Sounds good!
I have the same machine, except the 17" model with 512 ram.

The only things that take getting used to is the cmmd/apple key and your might mouse is kind of weird when you first switch it to l-r.

You'll be happy with it though, no regrets here (my first mac too) except for games...

OP
Jeremy W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
OK, my first real question.

I'm trying to find proof that my machine has the 250G hard drive and 1G of Ram.

I've been hunting around the system preferences area and can't seem to find the specs.

Thanks! - Jeremy

F

ForeverG5

Oh ok. Well, Jeremy, go to Spotlight in the top right hand corner of the menu bar and type in "System Profiler" (minus the quotation marks). When you find it, click on it. It will open a window that has every spec of every inch of your iMac. :) Enjoy!

OP
Jeremy W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Another new question

I created 4 accounts on our mac, one for each member of the family.

I then installed Office:mac under my account. The Office programs do not show up for the other accounts. Is there a way to make them active for each account without installing the program with a different install code?

I only get 3 installs on our Student edition.

Thanks!

Jeremy

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
I think you can set this in your System Preferences for User Accounts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.