Stuck in Recovery Mode, can't boot into osx, Unable to unmount Bootcamp partition

Reaction score
I have a 500gb mac drive, with a windows bootcamp partition on it. After using windows for a while, I would always get an error message saying "Macintosh drive may be damaged. Mount anyway? To which I would always click yes.

Today I tried to upgrade to mountain lion. So I booted into lion, ran mountain lion, and after installing and restarting, I was taken to a sort of recovery window, asking me where I wanted to install lion. All I saw were my 650mb recovery drive and my bootcamp drive, both locked. I didn't see my macintosh partition.

So I went into my recovery partition and ran disk utility. What I see in my disk utility from recovery:

>500.11 GB
>Macintosh HD (Greyed out, repair failed)
>Bootcamp (not greyed out)

Macintosh drive is greyed out. Tried verifying/repairing. Couldn't repair. Tried erasing the whole drive (500.11GB). I get "could not unmount drive". I think it is unable to unmount my bootcamp drive?

So I basically cannot boot into osx itself (because I just get to the install osx screen and my macintosh drive, where I want to install osx, isn't even showing up), and I also cannot do anything from my recovery partition. I tried both erase and partition options in disk utility. Right now I am only able to boot into windows which is where I am posting this from. I cannot use a flash drive recovery method either because I can't even run the .dmg on windows. Anyone know how I can restore/erase my drive completely?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have a 500gb mac drive, with a windows bootcamp partition on it. After using windows for a while, I would always get an error message saying "Macintosh drive may be damaged. Mount anyway? To which I would always click yes.

Today I tried to upgrade to mountain lion. So I booted into lion, ran mountain lion, and after installing and restarting, I was taken to a sort of recovery window, asking me where I wanted to install lion. All I saw were my 650mb recovery drive and my bootcamp drive, both locked. I didn't see my macintosh partition.

So I went into my recovery partition and ran disk utility. What I see in my disk utility from recovery:

>500.11 GB
>Macintosh HD (Greyed out, repair failed)
>Bootcamp (not greyed out)

Macintosh drive is greyed out. Tried verifying/repairing. Couldn't repair. Tried erasing the whole drive (500.11GB). I get "could not unmount drive". I think it is unable to unmount my bootcamp drive?

So I basically cannot boot into osx itself (because I just get to the install osx screen and my macintosh drive, where I want to install osx, isn't even showing up), and I also cannot do anything from my recovery partition. I tried both erase and partition options in disk utility. Right now I am only able to boot into windows which is where I am posting this from. I cannot use a flash drive recovery method either because I can't even run the .dmg on windows. Anyone know how I can restore/erase my drive completely?

Thanks.

Good Day!

I am having exactly the same problem! I thought my HDD is kaputt...
Pls experts out there... give us a helping hands...

Cheers.

OP
F
Reaction score
Krizal78, I took my laptop to the apple store and the guy said HD was defective. Wouldn't even mount and was unrepairable. SO they are replacing it for free since I am still under warranty

Reaction score
Arghh... Bad for me since my last Time Machine was last year.... No way to retrieve my data back?

Are you able to get your data back? Or you have your data backed up properly?

OP
F
Reaction score
Whenever I was in windows, I could still access all of the data on the mac drive somehow. So I was able to back everything up in both windows and osx. Good luck and I hope you are able to retrieve your data.

Reaction score
Ok, lucky for you to have dual boot. I just use parallel desktop to get windows on my mac os.

Its time for me to try those recovery tools...

Reaction score
Wait a minute... Seems like its not your hard drive failure physically, if it does, you will never get to logged in to windows as well... Might be the file system messed up?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.