Some questions about installing an SSD drive on a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi. I just ordered the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive and I was wondering what exactly do I have to do to get this running fine on my Macbook? I remember reading somewhere that there were little tweaks you have to/should do for a Mac?

Also, I plan on installing a fresh copy of Lion on this drive. Will migration assistant make everything exactly the way it is on my current HD? Like safari/firefox bookmarks and such?

Edit: I just discovered Mountain Lion has been released. So I will be installing a fresh copy of Mountain Lion on the new SSD, then migrating from Lion on my old HD. Not sure if this makes a difference but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for any help. :)

Reaction score
I bought a Mercury Extreme SSD from OWC. I just put it in an external enclosure, formatted it, cloned my system over to it with SuperDuper!, and then installed it in the MBP and booted it up - worked fine. Didn't have to do anything that I would consider any kind of special tweak.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
Do I need to also buy an enclosure? I just bought the drive itself. By tweaking, I meant I recall hearing something about trim (i don't know what this is). And also PRAM and another ram maybe? There was also some other things. I don't know what any of these are so I don't know if it's mandatory or whatever?

Reaction score
You only need the enclosure if you plan to use it as an external drive, or if you want to use your current drive as an external drive.

If you are placing a good internal drive, you should buy an enclosure so you can use it as a external. Lots of reasons to do this, but strictly speaking, it's not required. I like the Oyen Digital MiniPro: Oyen Digital: MiniPro 2.5-inch FireWire 800, USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure (Silver)

If you don't want to buy an enclosure, you can hook the drive up as an internal, and then boot from a system CD, format the drive and install an OS. This leaves you without any way to get stuff off the old drive though.

I didn't do anything special to make my SSD drive work - I just plugged it in and formatted it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.