Mail notification does not work after Mountain Lion intall

Reaction score
I'm running a brand new iMac I purchased in April of this year. Last night I upgraded to Mountain lion. All went well, except I cannot get the notifications to work with Mail. All other apps work with the new notification app but mail for some reason does not. I've done all I know to do with Mail preferences, and system prefs for notification are enabled, but mail notifications simply will not work.

I'v set it up according to this webs advice, but still no luck. How to bend Mountain Lion’s Notification Center to your will | Ars Technica

Any suggestions from you knowledgeable folks out there?

One thing I did notice though, the bug with iTunes updating podcasts while not active seems to be fixed. I was surprised to see my morning podcast waiting for me without using the manual refresh.

Reaction score
exactly the same

The event described below is exactly what I have experienced. I have a macmini bought in Feb of this year. Running Lion was not a problem. i upgraded to Mountain the other day and my GET MAIL function does not work. I can send mail. When I select GET MAIL all I receive is the sound I set up to notify me that mail has finished downloading.

Further detail is this. I upgraded and all mail functions worked. Day 2 Mail started locking up and I would have to force quit it and restart it. Day 3 same results as Day 2 and then some of the mail accounts were asking to have the password re-entered. I had to force quit and reboot the mint to get mail to work. Day 4... today... GET MAIL does not do anything...except making the sound described above.

OP
M
Reaction score
Umm, that's very strange, kitchen. Wish I could help you there, but those issues are way out of my league. Perhaps someone here or the folks at macoshints The macosxhints Forums - For discussing everything OS X... could help you.

Something very strange happened today. Mail notifications all of a sudden started working for me. It's been day 2 for me. I zapped the pram yesterday. No results. Changed preferences to all mailboxes in Mail. No results. Put Mac to sleep overnight, and voila, its working. Very strange.

Good luck and thanks for responding.

Macdonz

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@ Macdonz Does this hint explain the problem you are having with notifications? It sounds like your problem is different but I am not sure.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Slydude.*However, that was not the problem. I'd already discovered that trick, but numerous tests did not avail any change until today. It just started working on its own. Dunno... Maybe it's something to do with how the mac automatically runs it's maintenance scripts at odd hours that did the trick. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It didn't sound like the same thing but worth a look just the same. So far Notifications has worked for me except for a period when I was testing that hint and turned it off when I wanted it on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.