UPGRADE to Mountain Lion?

Reaction score
I skipped the upgrade to LION primarily because I would need to replace Quicken 2006, MS Office 2004, and some other apps that have no Intel version, and so they will be lost for good. However I have lost apps all throughout my Mac career. The move from OS 9 to OSX, the move from Tiger to Snow Leopard and the ellimination of classic, etc.. So of all the advantages of Mountain Lion is it worth it? I hear that the SAVE AS feature is gone for good, is this true? I do not use iCloud, and my version of iChat works just fine for my needs, so I am not sure I am ready for Mountain Lion, especially since its going to cost me hundreds of dollars in replacement software. I would need to buy the full version of Office 2011 as I would need the version with Outlook, & I would need to repalce Quicken 2006.

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As with any upgrade - you should only do it if you need the new features or what you have doesn't perform the task required any longer.

You seem to have made a strong case for not upgrading as you seem content with what you have. If that's the case perhaps standing pat with what you have and maybe waiting on OS XI - which will likely be another leap like OS9 to OSX. But then, who knows when that will be.

However, if you do make the jump to Mountain Lion you can hold the option key to access Save As...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Also worth considering is that, sooner or later, your hardware will breathe its last breathe. When that happens, if you are still tied to Snow Leopard and your existing apps, buying a new Mac will require updating all your software also. Running Sow Leopard simply won't be an option. Of course you could just buy a used older Mac that can run Snow Leopard, and that would be a perfect valid choice.

I agree with MrPlow that you don't seem to have any pressing need to move on now. I would just assess what your preferences would be in the future when you have no choice but to replace your Mac, and that day will come sooner or later. If you don't expect to want to "settle" for used hardware, then starting now by gradually upgrading your software to newer versions that will run in Snow Leopard through Mountain Lion might be a better way to ease into it and spread the costs out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.