WIFI Router/internet setup issues......

J

JPK

I'm a PC guy so please don't look down on me. I have a friend that has a G4 with OS 9.2 installed. The Mac is a few years old and she's been having some internet access issues I'm trying to solve for her. She's virtually computer illiterate so I'm trying to help her get back online. First, she has access via DSL. I have re-established her connection to the net. Her browser is MS IE 5 for Macs and after establishing the DSL connection, when I try to open her browser I get an error message. Now I know that there must be a one click way to both open her browser and connect at the same time but I'm at a loss because of my infamiliarity with the Mac OS. I do not have her machine near so I don't have the error message to post here. In addition she has a wireless router that she needs to have installed after I get her browser operating but I'll wait until after to do that. Just want to get her back online. I'm sure it's just a software config issue so any help here would be appreciated. In addition, she has a OS X disk. I was thinking I might just upgrade the OS for her but worried that I might corrupt data on her HD so I did not do that. So...a couple of questions. First, is there a way to do a single click web access on her machine with MS IE 5? Second, is MS IE 5 the best or serviceable browser for her? Third, would the install of OS X be benificial to her and make the set up of the browser easier and less combersome to activate? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 inch ibook 1.2 ghz
i would upgrade to osx, it should be easy to use if she's computer illiterate.
then if the dsl modem is connected via ethernet check your ip settings (for built in ethernet) dhcp should be fine for now. osx should have safari dont use IE.

OP
J

JPK

Thanks for the help. Sorry it took so long to reply.

Is there anything I should look out for in the OSX install over 9.2.2? Is it pretty much an automatic overlay? What about IE 5? Do I need to uninstall that before the OSX install? Thanks for your help.

bwilliamson0019 said:
i would upgrade to osx, it should be easy to use if she's computer illiterate.
then if the dsl modem is connected via ethernet check your ip settings (for built in ethernet) dhcp should be fine for now. osx should have safari dont use IE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.