Newbie question about iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys and guyesses,
I have had my iPad 2 for a while now and though it may be hard to believe, I have now come to the first time that I will need to use iTunes. I downloaded the iTunes App to my Mac Mini ages ago but I have no idea how to use it. When I plug my iPad into my Mac and start the iTunes App, I can see the section down the left hand side marked ..... "Steve's iPad but all the sections are empty.
So what I need from you guys are some instructions on how to move a file from the desktop of my Mac over to iTunes so that I can read it on my Mac. (it's an eBook)
I'd be very grateful for any info but please remember that I'm a bit of a thicko when it comes to techie stuff so words of either one or two syllables would be best. ;)

Many thanks,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So what I need from you guys are some instructions on how to move a file from the desktop of my Mac over to iTunes so that I can read it on my Mac. (it's an eBook)

Do you mean:
"So what I need from you guys are some instructions on how to move a file from the desktop of my Mac over to iTunes so that I can read it on my iPad. (it's an eBook)" ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you've never synced with iTunes and have no need to do so except for this you can just email the ebook to yourself.

Assuming you have an iCloud backup before you do anything; #
follow these instructions iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer
Now drag the eBook into iTunes
select your iPad from the left sidebar, now click the books 'tab' on the top of the right hand pane
Scroll down and you'll see the ebooks list. Tick the book you want and click sync

Reaction score
look you just need to understand this so you can use regularly.. imagine that the itunes is a music organizer that you use for your self and can be shared with the ipad or iphone or whatever..

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Thanks for the help, guys, and yes, you were right. I made a boo-boo in the first post but you spotted it and put me right.
I'll have a go at those instructions and let you know if I manage it. I do mostly text type stuff on the iPad and an e-Book is about the limit of what I would need to send to my iPad but if I wanted to send a photo or a video would that work in more or less the same way?
One last question. Is there a size limit as to what I can sent to myself via hotmail?
Cheers,
Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.