Is the iMac G5 hard drive user replaceable?

P

prozach1576

I'm running out of room on my 160 gig, but I don't want to move my 100+ gig iTunes library to an external drive. I'd like to replace my 160 gig system drive with a 320 gig, but will any S-ATA hard drive work? I know that it's easy to take the hard drive out and replace it because I had to install a replacement drive Apple sent me, but can I buy a new one on Newegg and go ahead and install it?

Reaction score
Hi there, yes apparently now on Apple.com somewhere there is a break down of user servicable parts and upgrades and the Imac does allow for Hard drive replacement! I see no reason why you could not ismply install a new one. However if i am honest I tihnk the better otpion would be to go for a good external drive why run the risk and hassle, plus it will b cheaper and easier int he future should you decided to move masses of info to a new machine.

OP
P

prozach1576

Well, I already have an external drive that I use for storage and a backup of all of my music. I just really don't like the idea of having my iTunes library's primary home on an external drive. I don't want to have it turned on whenever I want to listen to music because an external drive is significantly noisier than my iMac. I'm a slave to having iTunes keep my library organized and in one directory. I'll probably just buy an enclosure and move my current system drive into it, giving me two externals. Thanks for the info though!

OP
D

DigitalN.

you should go and get one of those new 16MB Hitachi drives, I hear they are the fastest SATA drives you can buy at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The harddisk is a CIP (customer installable part) only on the Rev.A and Rev.B iMac G5. The Rev.C (the one with integrated iSight) does not have any CIPs except memory. It is very different, internally. They changed everything, and made a computer that was easy to service become as difficult to service as an iBook or PowerBook!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Avalon said:
The harddisk is a CIP (customer installable part) only on the Rev.A and Rev.B iMac G5. The Rev.C (the one with integrated iSight) does not have any CIPs except memory. It is very different, internally. They changed everything, and made a computer that was easy to service become as difficult to service as an iBook or PowerBook!

I wonder if someone will do a take apart guide on the Rev C iMac? Some day something will wear out and need to be changed. I wonder how hard it is to get into? The Rev A and B are easy.

Since I have a new iMac it would be nice to be able to work on it if it's ever necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
dtravis7 said:
I wonder if someone will do a take apart guide on the Rev C iMac? Some day something will wear out and need to be changed. I wonder how hard it is to get into? The Rev A and B are easy.

Since I have a new iMac it would be nice to be able to work on it if it's ever necessary.

From my own experience:
Changing a logic board on a Rev A/B iMac G5: 45min
The same job on a Rev C iMac G5: 3hours. That's about 4x as long!!
And this was done with the official service manual, in both cases. (No, they are not available, unless you're an Apple certified technician)

Changing a harddisk or optical drive sure is less work than a logicboard, but still, it is way more difficult than on a Rev A/B, on which changing one of the drives is a 5min-job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.