how is he watching me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm about a 8 month user of MB. I'm loving the switch so far and would like some help with a problem that has RE-occured. How does somebody know what sites I visit and what I write in emails? I don't do the social media at all, but I do read the local news and see his comments that reference to this. How is he watching me and reading my mail if mac is so secure? You may send a private msg, if you don't want to post the "how" in public. I appreciate any information and/or solution you offer...and thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
oops

I failed to mention I am using OS X Lion. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz 1TB
Can you expand? You say "he" as if it's a specific person, or are you talking about the paper in general? If so can you explain briefly what the article says

OP
P
Reaction score
He has been stalking me for a while and found me on my local news website. He knew where I went from hacking my pc a few years back (that's why I changed to mac). So he is on the site too. You read a news article and the public can make comments. His comments relate to what he has heard me say when he turns on my mic, he has turned on my cam but cannot see me as I have a band-aid over it and he knows what web sites I go to and has either hacked my mac or my gmail to learn what email I write. He has me confused with a friend who used my pc back then. How does he know what sites I go to if he can't get in my mac? Or has he?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
That reads to me like a job for the local Police. If you definitely know who it is don't hesitate to contact them.

OP
P
Reaction score
That part is being handled (wink). My question is "How"....by what method.... is he tracking my every move if he can't access mac? I uninstalled flash, but that wasn't it. If I knew "how" I could do something about it.

OP
P
Reaction score
BTW, I am in Texas, he is in Brighton, England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Wait, I don't get it... how do you know he's reading your emails, and what would a news site have to do with it?

OP
P
Reaction score
The news site, MY local news site is where I read local news. The public can comment on the news articles. He made ambigious comments about something I had written in an email all while using a name from that email. these comments posted on a news article. This happens everyday. How does he know I am in email or some other website?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Wow. Personally I would make sure the police know what is going on. If it continues happening, maybe you need to password or encrypt your internet connection. That's all I can think to do.

OP
P
Reaction score
Several police agencies know about this (he has several friends in this with him). My question is HOW does he know what I am doing if mac is supposed to be so secure? Have I been hacked? Is he using some packet sniffer or what? How do I encrypt my internet connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you use wifi? If you do, just go into your router settings and choose something like "security" and choose WEP or WPA and choose a password. Save that, then go into your computer wifi settings and add the security info.

I really don't know if your computer has been hacked. If fixing your internet connection doesn't fix that then I'd say completely format your Mac and reinstall Mac OS X. That should help, I would think.

OP
P
Reaction score
No, I don't use wifi unless I am traveling. I am wired to satellite. I was waiting for an answer to this before I upgraded to mountain lion in hopes ML would erase anything he may have put on my mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would do a youtube search for something like "fresh install of mountain lion" and follow those steps. I wouldn't want to do an upgrade because IF he did put something on your computer, an upgrade would not get rid of it. Do a fresh install either by burned DVD or flash drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
OK, I was thinking about a clean install anyway just to be sure. One more question if you don't mind? Would using a proxy afterwards help?? If so, can u recommend a good one to use with mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking of that but to be honest, I've never used them, and the free ones online do not work. You could turn on private browsing in your browser, (I'm not a mac owner yet) but I'm not sure if Safari offers that. But Firefox and Chrome do. That might help with the browsing side. I might look into purchasing software or a subscription or however that works for a proxy. At least if you do decide to use it, use it for maybe a year or more to make sure he's lost interest if that works. I don't know how I would proceed if I were in your sitatuion but those are the things I would try.

I really hope the police nab this guy and put him away. I'm sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine how I'd feel. Though I did have a situation where someone sent an email in MY name (with a new email account they created) and (when I was just starting high school) and the person said they wre going to kill all of my friends including me. THe police caught the guy, come to find out he was a friend of mine. What a nightmare. But I can sort of understand how you feel, though it's not the same thing. I wish you the best. I hope you can fix this or at least help the police get this guy. *hugs*

Brittany

OP
P
Reaction score
I was thinking of using a proxy so my real ip would be hidden....for obvious reasons. I wish I could tell you what him and his group have done to me and my friend, but this is not the place for it. All I can say is, well, I better not say that either, lol. Your "email" situation is the tip of the iceberg in my situation. Their day is not far off lol. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate all of you who have helped me. Mac is still better than a pc...go get one!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will be :) I'm buying the retina Macbook Pro here in about 3 weeks or so when I have the money. I'm sorry I couldn't help much more than I did. Yeah do some research on proxies. Though I'm not sure how fast the internet would be through a proxy, when I briefly used free proxies (web browser-based ones) the connection was very slow. So be on the lookout for that if you go that route.

OP
P
Reaction score
That's why I want one especially for mac, so it won't slow down. Good Luck using mac. It took me a few weeks to get use to mine after being a windows user for so long, but I love it now! So I need to keep reading the forums and get 'er tweaked and I'll be good to go. Thanks again!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure how this would be occurring but there are a couple of general suggestions that might help a bit if he is tracking what you are writing:

1. Performa a clean install of either Lion or Mountain Lion. The following directions are for Lion but should also work for Mountain Lion Install Lion - The Clean Install Process

2. Change the passwords for all e-mail accounts and use secure passwords. That generally involves combinations of letters, numbers, and other characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.