Running Mountain Lion on a native Lion.

Reaction score
I have a Mac running Lion and I'm wondering if upgrading to Mountain Lion on this mac will slow it down. It's a 4.05 GB download / install, and will installing this OS make my computer slower since it already has Lion? I got this Mac in October 2011, so it's still fairly new. My computer isn't slow, it runs all my games & loads web pages super fast. I just don't want to download Mountain Lion for all the awesome features & pay $20 to realize that it's slowed my $1,800 computer down. I like Lion, but I want Mountain Lion because of iMessage & the AirPlay feature, because I'm getting an Apple TV for me and my boyfriend to use on our new TV we got on Craigslist (LOL).

My main question: Will downloading / installing / using OS X Mountain Lion on my OS X Lion Macintosh laptop make my computer run slower?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
I can tell you the upgrade to ML from Lion made my computer faster. Feels snappier anyway.

I will mention that I did a clean install.. not sure if that plays a part in it... probably a small one anyway.

I would recommoned the upgrade if you know what your doing... but you don't have to do it today.

OP
E
Reaction score
I can tell you the upgrade to ML from Lion made my computer faster. Feels snappier anyway.

I will mention that I did a clean install.. not sure if that plays a part in it... probably a small one anyway.

I would recommoned the upgrade if you know what your doing... but you don't have to do it today.

How would I go about doing a clean install?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.